Question about kicker 800.4

Participant count
  • Participant list

dooski
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
So the other day i had my volume barely up and noticed my kicker amp was pouring out white smoke so i quickly shut off the radio, so i figured the amp was burned out and thought i needed a new one but i was bored today and opened up the amp and noticed the fan came apart and was dangling by 2 thin wires. So i replaced the fan but the new fan isnt spinning but the amp still works and isnt going into protection, so my question is can i just run the amp without the fan cause the whole thing is a heatsink and the fan that was in it was a low rpm fan and wasnt really doing anything to begin with.

Might as well show a pic of the guts i guess

View attachment 26534138

the fan should kick on when it warms up, i believe. some just stay on with power and some are thermal operated..
yea i ran it quite hard last night and the fan never turned on but im guessing i should be ok since it didnt go into protect

yea i ran it quite hard last night and the fan never turned on but im guessing i should be ok since it didnt go into protect
If you really want to be safe wire the fan to the remote turn on lead/ground inside the amp so that it kicks on/off with the amp and still looks clean.

Ah never thought of that thanks
Yea I used that trick a while back with a crappy ma audio amp installed the fan inside and wire it internally looked good and worked well all the way thru it's time with me and the guy that bought it from me.

Yea I used that trick a while back with a crappy ma audio amp installed the fan inside and wire it internally looked good and worked well all the way thru it's time with me and the guy that bought it from me.
wonder if i can hook up a Led light bar the same way?

wonder if i can hook up a Led light bar the same way?
just be careful how many things you hook up amperage wise, the remote turn on coming from the HU can't support a whole lot! I would stick with the fan unless you want to install a turn on relay, at that point it starts to become more trouble then it's worth IMO. I was just thinking about it from the "keep the amp cool" angle.

just be careful how many things you hook up amperage wise, the remote turn on coming from the HU can't support a whole lot! I would stick with the fan unless you want to install a turn on relay, at that point it starts to become more trouble then it's worth IMO. I was just thinking about it from the "keep the amp cool" angle.
ah ok nvm then

ah ok nvm then
Just solder up your fan route your wires and call it a day, ya know! no need to do anything that's going to or could cause more issue's and those little fans don't draw much at all, but as for the led's I have no clue what they draw and don't think I would want to use my remote lead to find out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.