Question about installing audio system in 2008 Lincoln MKX

Participant count
  • Participant list

jon2866

First off, let me start by saying I don't know very much about car audio. Anyways, today is my birthday, and I went to bestbuy to purchase some speakers and a stereo for my car (2008 Lincoln MKX no nav) and the car electronics guys there said that Lincoln had made these types of cars without a harness, and that it was impossible to install a stereo without this part. They told me that if I wanted to have a stereo installed I would have to order a $300 part and that it would cost $700-$800 in labor for it to get done (and that's without the cost of the speakers and their installation fee). So I was wondering if I could get any insight or maybe if someone could explain this to me.

You might want to do some more homework, maybe go to a local installer rather than BB for another opinion.

I just went to the Crutchfield site and popped in your vehicle and under the install parts needed it doesn't say a work about what you describe and the parts needed are quite economically priced.

Here is a link to what C says you need for your car. I used a $300.00 Alpine single din head unit for the example...no changes really for other systems. I also selected "without THX audio and Nav".

Alpine CDE-HD149BT CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Good luck and keep us informed.

Does yours have the thx system? I believe you're talking about the PAC RP4-FD11 to keep the factory amps. Iirc it's needed whether it has thx with no nav, no thx no nav, and nav with no thx. It also retains steering wheel controls and RAP, so it isn't just for steering controls. It's a similar module that the nnbs chevy silverado/Tahoe needs.

BTW, we are living in the age where it's accepted to just make **** up when you don't know the answer. Most installers at big box stores are pothead high-school age kids that can barely remember(or don't care) to wipe their own ***. I'm sure there's a few rare instances where BB has a legit installer, but then I'd wonder why they aren't working at a b&m audio shop making 2x the money

Sent from my Motorola 2950 Special Edition 3w.

I called the local Lincoln dealership today and they referred me to an audio shop. I called the shop and the owner pretty much told me the same stuff and said that it would cost around 1500-1800 to have a stereo installed because of the tedious labor. Was really hoping it was just another one of those times that the people who work at bestbuy are completely incorrect, but I guess not. He said I could come down to the shop and see what he has there and he can tell me exactly how much it would cost depending on the stereo.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.