Question about Ground Distribution Block

Participant count
  • Participant list

JKuhnz
10+ year member

Hey guys, I'm still learning about more advanced audio systems so if this is a stupid question please bare with me.

I am upgrading the subwoofer amp in my car to a much more powerful amplifier and I was curious about what wiring I should use. I went to talk to my local audio shop and they gave me 2 feet of 4 gauge ground wire, 2 feet of 4 gauge power wire, and a ground distribution block. This block has 2 1/0 AWG in and 6 4 AWG out.

The install company told me I should replace this with my old distribution block. They want me to run my 4 AWG power wire from the battery to the 1/0 AWG input, then run 4AWG output to one amp and 8 AWG the the other. I would assume I'd use the 4 AWG ground cable they provided and attach it to the other 1/0 AWG input?

I read up on ground distribution blocks and from what I've read it didnt seem like they were used to deal with power wire. I want to make sure I didn't hear the company wrong and I won't end up blowing my system in some way

Too Vague of a question, when little is given of what amp/amps running/using,to even consider any type of assessment.Stock electrical?stock battery?size of supply wiring from the battery,to the amps distro block?Assuming its 4ga,or 8ga since wanting you to run 4?

Here let me expand a bit more. Its still a stock battery and electrical system. My old system had a 760 watt 4 channel amp running to the door speakers, and an 800 watt 2 channel running to the subwoofers. The company that installed it ran a 4 AWG power wire from the battery to the rear of the vehicle into a fused distribution block. That block broke the 4 AWG into 2 separate 8 AWG wires.

The new amp I have is a 1400 watt monoblock amp. So I went to the company that installed it the first time and they said I would be fine keeping the 4 AWG wire running from the battery. But they recommended I upgrade the small amount of 8 AWG wiring that used to be running to my less powerful subwoofer amp. They picked out a ground distribution block for me as well as 2 feet of 4 AWG power and ground wires and told me thats all I would really need to upgrade.

I assume they want me to take out my old distribution block ((1) 4 AWG in, (2) 8 AWG out), put in this new ground distribution block, and run the 4 AWG power wire from the battery to an input, then run (1) 8 AWG wire out to my 4 channel amp, and (1) 4 AWG wire out to power my new 1400 watt amp.

I'm not sure whether to connect the 4 AWG ground wire they gave me to the amplifier or the distribution block.

Let me know if you need any more information

So the ground distribution blocks are capable of handling power wire?
Well a power wire and a ground wire is the same thing, just got a different color jacket so you know which is which. Speaker wire is the same thing too, just a lot smaller gauge.

So i'd take that block they gave you and use it in place of your old one. Use 1/0 gauge from your battery to a 1/0 gauge opening on the dist block, and run 4 gauge from that to both of your amps, and just ground your amps to the chassis. (also with 4 gauge)

Well a power wire and a ground wire is the same thing, just got a different color jacket so you know which is which. Speaker wire is the same thing too, just a lot smaller gauge.
So i'd take that block they gave you and use it in place of your old one. Use 1/0 gauge from your battery to a 1/0 gauge opening on the dist block, and run 4 gauge from that to both of your amps, and just ground your amps to the chassis. (also with 4 gauge)
This answers my question exactly, thank you so much!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.