question about fuse sizing

Participant count
  • Participant list

dirtysouth31
10+ year member

how much?
never really thought about fuse sizes before but have been reading about fuses recently and does it matter what size fuse you put inline for an amp?will a lower amp fuse somehow restrict power..i have been running a 60 amp maxi fuse but since i bought a new amp(hifonics brutus 2010d)which has no fuses on it,im getting concerned..what size fuse should i honestly be running with this amp??

never really thought about fuse sizes before but have been reading about fuses recently and does it matter what size fuse you put inline for an amp?will a lower amp fuse somehow restrict power..i have been running a 60 amp maxi fuse but since i bought a new amp(hifonics brutus 2010d)which has no fuses on it,im getting concerned..what size fuse should i honestly be running with this amp??
If it's too small, you will notice as sooner or later as it will probably go poof.

This is a 2000W X 1 amp, correct? I've read a couple of sites that seem to indicate that folks with this amp are running 200 AMP fuses. A fuse is generally inserted into an electrical circuit for 1 of 2 reasons, either to protect the power source which includes the wire that connects the power supply to the electrical device, or to protect the electronic equipment. Does you amp manufacturer recommend a fuse size?

What is the size of the power wire going to your amp? Wire size typically drives the size of fuse that you need if the equipment manufacturer does not specify a size, although normally they do. Here are suggested fuse sizes based on wire gauge:

Wire Gauge Recommended, Maximum Fuse Size

00 awg, 400 amps

0 awg, 325 amps

1 awg, 250 amps

2 awg, 200 amps

4 awg, 125 amps

6 awg, 80 amps

8 awg, 50 amps

10 awg, 30 amps

12 awg, 20 amps

14 awg, 15 amps

16 awg, 7.5 amps

These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

The above was taken from http://www.bcae1.com

thanks for the responses fellas..the amp doesnt specify.i also have 0/1 gauge running from batt to amp with a 60 amp maxi fuse in it..been running that for years and havent blown the fuse yet..

You should be all set then...smaller in this instance may be better. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.