Pyramid 1800w amp......how many RMS?

Participant count
  • Participant list

LoneRanger
10+ year member

Old Yamahas Give Me Wood
My girlfriend recently bought a system for her car, and although i tried to tell her not to, she bought a Pyramid 1800w amp. I'm not exactly sure of the model number, but it's a four channel amp that can be bridged to two channels and will operate at 4 or 2 ohms. The subs she bought to go with the amp are Audiobahn AWT1251 Natural Sound Subs (again, not my first choice, but as she's always fond of telling me "it's not your **** system!"). Anyway, the subs have duel 4ohm voice coils, so I'll be wiring them in a configuration such that the amp is recieving a two ohm load to each channel in two channel mode. My question is how much power RMS is this amp going to produce? The subs are rated at 400w RMS, but I was told by a reliable source that they'll take about 550-600 with no problem. I know that pyramid WAYYYYY overrates their amps, so if any of you know about how many watts that amp will deliver to those subs in the configuration I described, your input would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

This is my best estimation on how pyramid rates their amps.

1800 watts is MAX with all channels at 2 ohms (or at 4 ohms bridged)

So, 1800/4 = 450x4, cut that in half for rms = 225x4, then, as a rough guesstimate figure a 40% over-rating. So 225x .6 = about 135.

So that's roughly a 135x4 @ 4 ohms amp. I would guess around a 30 to 40% power gain at 2 ohms so 190x4, and bridged would be around 360x2.

Keep in mind this is purely speculation, but I'd bet it's within 50 watts either way. And I have owned a few pyramids so I'm not just blowing smoke.

how many fuses are on the amp??? My amp is a planet audio 1200d and it has 3 30 amp fuses on the amp, so if your only running one then my guess would be about 200 watts

i would never wire a suystem for a friend without having some input into what they are gonna buy, unless they already got the stuff, she's making you wire it, i'd tell her to pissoff anf wire it herself, tail or not =)

you will probably blow the amp if you bridge it and wire the speakers in 2 ohm load ,

I see it happen all the time with cheap four channel amps

i had that audiobaun 1251 and it will not hold 600watts rms i know cause i blew mine yesterday wit no problem at all but at 100 each what could you expect

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.