PWX Replacements

Participant count
  • Participant list
Doing a rebuild of my system.

Want to replace my PWX’s with something a little more SQ oriented instead of a PA-mid.

They have to keep up with my sub. The PWX’s do a pretty good job of that currently and I don’t want to lose that.

Reason for going to something more SQ is that I’m not turning up my music as loud anymore, really starting to appreciate quality sound and I want to incorporate that in my build.

Will be ran off a CT 125.4 or something similar in power if I decide to change amps.

Any suggestions would be great //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Ok so I think I'm going to give Imcriminator Audios DPX 6.5s a shot.

Still a pro audio driver but I've heard some good stuff about those speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif

Doing a rebuild of my system. Want to replace my PWX’s with something a little more SQ oriented instead of a PA-mid.

They have to keep up with my sub. The PWX’s do a pretty good job of that currently and I don’t want to lose that.

Reason for going to something more SQ is that I’m not turning up my music as loud anymore, really starting to appreciate quality sound and I want to incorporate that in my build.

Will be ran off a CT 125.4 or something similar in power if I decide to change amps.

Any suggestions would be great //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif
what are you missing? With a proper tune the pwxs are a really good midbass driver if supplemented with a good midrange in a 3 way front.

Ok so I think I'm going to give Imcriminator Audios DPX 6.5s a shot.Still a pro audio driver but I've heard some good stuff about those speakers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fro.gif.c695f1f814b01c4ad99fe7f8cccadd29.gif
Any more details about it?

In all honesty, clarity.
They aren't distorted but they almost sound slightly muffled?
Warmer sound signature hence i would not use them for anything above 500hz unless you have a good tweeter that reaches low. Again, pure midbass driver. Also whats your EQ curve looking like and crossover points/slopes

Warmer sound signature hence i would not use them for anything above 500hz unless you have a good tweeter that reaches low. Again, pure midbass driver. Also whats your EQ curve looking like and crossover points/slopes
I will take a pictures of the EQ tomorrow.

I think I have them crossed at 2k? Maybe?

I know I have the HPF set at 100hz or 120hz.

I will take a pictures of the EQ tomorrow.
I think I have them crossed at 2k? Maybe?

I know I have the HPF set at 100hz or 120hz.
If its at 2khz low pass then you are missing out a lot of musical info from the 2.5khz to wherever you cross your tweeters especially if your tweeter cant play low clean. That lack of clarity you mentioned is probably just a large dip in the mid to upper midrange. They can go down to 80 hz high pass easy as well.

Ok so I re-tuned and readjusted my amp gaines.

Now its super clear and actually much louder.

BUT my time alignment is the next issue. I set it to Front Left (driver) and measured/adjusted again from speaker to ear and its not right at all.

So I tossed out those measurements are started to just see if I could set it so it sounded centered(which is what I want) and its almost there. kinda sorta.

I'm having the issue where it will only one seat sounds centered. Not an issue if I only drive by myself but that isn't always the case.

Is there a way for it to sound just as good on the driver and the passenger? It won't let me change the alignment if its set to just front. Its either FL or FR.

Ok so I re-tuned and readjusted my amp gaines.
Now its super clear and actually much louder.

BUT my time alignment is the next issue. I set it to Front Left (driver) and measured/adjusted again from speaker to ear and its not right at all.

So I tossed out those measurements are started to just see if I could set it so it sounded centered(which is what I want) and its almost there. kinda sorta.

I'm having the issue where it will only one seat sounds centered. Not an issue if I only drive by myself but that isn't always the case.

Is there a way for it to sound just as good on the driver and the passenger? It won't let me change the alignment if its set to just front. Its either FL or FR.
easy, turn off time alignment when you have passengers in your car.

To get the stage proper, you need to turn off the subs and tweeters and just add or subtract values to the midrange while playing a vocal centered track and see how the stage moves left and right and then center it. Turn off the mid and do the same to the tweeter.

easy, turn off time alignment when you have passengers in your car.
To get the stage proper, you need to turn off the subs and tweeters and just add or subtract values to the midrange while playing a vocal centered track and see how the stage moves left and right and then center it. Turn off the mid and do the same to the tweeter.
Yeah thats what you told me to do last time. Worked great and it sounds proper. Thanks btw probably havent said it yet. I think it sounds the way it should now.

Just on the drivers side which really isn't a bad thing. Just want to have the option to make it sound good for anyone whos in the passenger.

Gonna go and turn off time alignment and see how it sounds just for reference.

yeah those PWXs are actually good sounding drivers when tuned right. CSCstang's and mines pump out massive midbass and the male vocals and deeper guitars are strong just how we like it. Slightly lacking in upper midrange thats why we use them more as a midbass and use something like the UN 6.5s for midrange. Should think about having some midrange in the kicks and run 3 way active in the future. Its pretty gnarly.

With the 80 prs, you can make most of anything sound good and clear though, its all in the tune.

This is my daily get around car so I'm hesitant on how modified on what I do to it. I could just replace the PWXs with some neo's no problem but doing something custom to the doors isn't in my budget and or time for now :/

Once I graduate I'll get something I can actually experiment and put some money into. Hopefully.

This is my daily get around car so I'm hesitant on how modified on what I do to it. I could just replace the PWXs with some neo's no problem but doing something custom to the doors isn't in my budget and or time for now :/Once I graduate I'll get something I can actually experiment and put some money into. Hopefully.
might miss out on lower midbass with the UNs.

Hell for a while before I got my doors done, i just had a pair of 6.5s right at the kick, free air no enclosure firing on axis and it actually sounded pretty good.

Kick panel enclosures arent hard to do all you need is a wooden baffle, some sticks of wood and then go to town with the fiberglassing.

might miss out on lower midbass with the UNs.
Hell for a while before I got my doors done, i just had a pair of 6.5s right at the kick, free air no enclosure firing on axis and it actually sounded pretty good.

Kick panel enclosures arent hard to do all you need is a wooden baffle, some sticks of wood and then go to town with the fiberglassing.
The amount of real estate down in that area is slim.

I have a little vw jetta. Plus I'm about 6'4. I need all the room I can get.

Especially down in the kick with size 14 feet. Its like driving with clown shoes.

I could do it in the passenger but not the driver.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.