pwx 10s 8s or 6.5s?

Participant count
  • Participant list
hey guys, recently i've found a shop that will do my door panels. I am looking to get myself a decent mid range setup without spending too much as I have to upgrade my alt with this upgrade as well. I was wondering what you guys would recommend for my setup as I don't have much experience in the area. I was thinking of going 2-3 speakers and 1-2 tweeters per door, I was thinking of leaning towards 2 6.5s or 8's and 1-2 super tweets, does anyone have any input? I currently have a rockford 400.4 that I can run the tweet(s) on and was thinking of a crescendo 1100/2 for the two-three new speakers per door I will be getting.

my goal for the system is full range SQ I have two 12's on 1500w ported around 38hz

Anyone have any feedback on UN Pros by crescendo as well?

I bought 4 UN 10s right when they came out. They get stupid loud but the dust caps started coming off the first week of having them. Crescendo didn't answer emails from my dealer and finally got in touch with me after I said how much they ****** on Facebook. They offered me to send them in to be fixed aka they would re glue them... I said ill keep the shipping money and just re glue them myself. I asked if he would give me a good price on grilles since they have glue on them. He said he would hook me up when he gets back to the office.. Never head back from him...

Ive seen way too many issues in person with their amps too.. 5500 randomly died. New 4500 randomly died.. 800x4 protecting straight out box.

I did have PWX 10s before and loved them. Stupid mid bass. Warm sounding. I just wanted louder.

Go McLaren.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I bought 4 UN 10s right when they came out. They get stupid loud but the dust caps started coming off the first week of having them. Crescendo didn't answer emails from my dealer and finally got in touch with me after I said how much they ****** on Facebook. They offered me to send them in to be fixed aka they would re glue them... I said ill keep the shipping money and just re glue them myself. I asked if he would give me a good price on grilles since they have glue on them. He said he would hook me up when he gets back to the office.. Never head back from him...
Ive seen way too many issues in person with their amps too.. 5500 randomly died. New 4500 randomly died.. 800x4 protecting straight out box.

I did have PWX 10s before and loved them. Stupid mid bass. Warm sounding. I just wanted louder.

Go McLaren.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
Only 6.5s I found by Mclaren besides neo was the MLM-680s, but only at 8 ohm. My new front stage will only consist of 2 6.5s and 2 tweeters, you recommend mclaren the way to go?

Sorry for threadstealing a bit

Only 6.5s I found by Mclaren besides neo was the MLM-680s, but only at 8 ohm. My new front stage will only consist of 2 6.5s and 2 tweeters, you recommend mclaren the way to go?
Sorry for threadstealing a bit

My buddy has 4 of the 680s per door in his dodge nitro. They get down for sure.

I might go with 2 mclaren 6.5s or pwx 6.5s and 1 tweet per door, how were the pwx 10's when you ran them? does they have good upper mids? I am going for loud vocals and I listen to a lot of edm sometimes as well so I was thinking maybe 6.5s would be better for my situation. I'm just unsure of the actual difference the 10s and 6s sound wise.

and for the amp, I may steer away from crescendo after what you said.. I'll begin looking elsewhere. I was just so stuck towards getting crescendo products after how good they look from exo, thelifeofprice ect. should have expected as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I might go with 2 mclaren 6.5s or pwx 6.5s and 1 tweet per door, how were the pwx 10's when you ran them? does they have good upper mids? I am going for loud vocals and I listen to a lot of edm sometimes as well so I was thinking maybe 6.5s would be better for my situation. I'm just unsure of the actual difference the 10s and 6s sound wise.
and for the amp, I may steer away from crescendo after what you said.. I'll begin looking elsewhere. I was just so stuck towards getting crescendo products after how good they look from exo, thelifeofprice ect. should have expected as much.
not gonna lie, PWX arent that great for upper vocals at all, pretty bad for it. Its not how they were meant to perform though, they are extremely good as midbass, deep vocals and instruments, they will pound your doors, give you that creamy smooth deep male vocals and detailed instruments (guitar, drums, bass etc..) However they should not be used for powerful female vocals as they just do not shine in that area. You'll definitely want a 10 for midbass, its very worth to have a pwx 10 for midbass duty, a 8 or 6.5 for midrange either mclaren or rockford and some tweeters(soft dome or super tweets depending on your tastes). Just a simple 3 way front stage setup would sound very nice.

Get active capable amp with bandpass capabilities like ppi 900.4 and a 2 channel active capable like the pp 600.2 and you should be set with midbass doing its own job down low, midrange doing its own job handling its own frequencies and tweeters taking care up top.

not gonna lie, PWX arent that great for upper vocals at all, pretty bad for it. Its not how they were meant to perform though, they are extremely good as midbass, deep vocals and instruments, they will pound your doors, give you that creamy smooth deep male vocals and detailed instruments (guitar, drums, bass etc..) However they should not be used for powerful female vocals as they just do not shine in that area. You'll definitely want a 10 for midbass, its very worth to have a pwx 10 for midbass duty, a 8 or 6.5 for midrange either mclaren or rockford and some tweeters(soft dome or super tweets depending on your tastes). Just a simple 3 way front stage setup would sound very nice.
Get active capable amp with bandpass capabilities like ppi 900.4 and a 2 channel active capable like the pp 600.2 and you should be set.
thanks for all the info! so if I do this front stage setup I'll have the good vocals i want along with the good midbass that sounds good to me! I'm just hoping ill have room in my door for the 10 i'm sure I will if worst comes to worst I can have a kick panel made. So you would definitely recommend the 10 8 tweet setup over two 8s a 6.5 and tweet? I was talking to somebody and that what they were talking about to me if I wanted good response for edm vocals ect.

thanks for all the info! so if I do this front stage setup I'll have the good vocals i want along with the good midbass that sounds good to me! I'm just hoping ill have room in my door for the 10 i'm sure I will if worst comes to worst I can have a kick panel made. So you would definitely recommend the 10 8 tweet setup over two 8s a 6.5 and tweet? I was talking to somebody and that what they were talking about to me if I wanted good response for edm vocals ect.
Bigger can play lower easily due to cone area and lower FS but it doesn't make too big of a difference between two 8s and one 10. the 10 is just cheaper and can play midbass a bit lower. Output should be similar. If you can only fit 8s then go with the 8s and a 6.5.

kick panel is pretty good as well because you can have things on axis(facing your ears) which helps clarity and soundstage by quite a bit.

Bigger can play lower easily due to cone area and lower FS but it doesn't make too big of a difference between two 8s and one 10. the 10 is just cheaper and can play midbass a bit lower. Output should be similar. If you can only fit 8s then go with the 8s and a 6.5.

kick panel is pretty good as well because you can have things on axis(facing your ears) which helps clarity and soundstage by quite a bit.
thanks for the info man, I will stick with the 10 8 and tweet if possible. I will very likely go with those Precision Power amps aswell, they are very cheap for what they put out do you have any first hand experience with the sq coming from the amps? I currently have a rf 400.4d but I dont think it will work well with this install I may sell it or keep it to run the two 6x9s in my rear deck

yeah you'll most likely have to sell it since it doesnt have proper crossovers.

Heck, you can just remove the 6x9s to let some bass reach your cabin compared to being stuck in your trunk.

A good front stage will easily reach the passengers and they will hear everything crisp and clear as well as you. Because if your setup can be heard a football field away, it should reach 3-4 feet back easily.

yeah you'll most likely have to sell it since it doesnt have proper crossovers.
Heck, you can just remove the 6x9s to let some bass reach your cabin compared to being stuck in your trunk.

A good front stage will easily reach the passengers and they will hear everything crisp and clear as well as you. Because if your setup can be heard a football field away, it should reach 3-4 feet back easily.
this is very true I'll take the 6x9s out and maybe try to sell the amp and old speakers to a bud of mine,thanks for all your help I appreciate it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.