puzzled with my new subwoofers

Participant count
  • Participants list

MROOD

CarAudio.com Newbie
London
guys, i bought 2 Alpine R-W12D4 subwoofers DVC subs

They are DVC 4 ohm subs at 750 watts rms each

I have an amp which is a JL Audio JX1000, capable of 1000 watts rms at 2ohm or 500 watts rms at 4ohm

The manual says the amp will go into protection mode if it detects any load lower than 2 ohm

So when I connect the subwoofers on a 2 ohm configuration (meant for 2ohm subs), wiring guidance from the JL manual and alpine manual I get a 1 ohm load, tested via my multi meter which i bought just for this, it clearly shows 1 ohm

If i connect the subs at a 4ohm configuration then the multimeter confirms 3.9 ohms

But the amp will only push out 500 watts rms at 4ohm and with 2 subwoofers thats basically 250 watts rms to each sub, thats very low for 750 watt subwoofers

My investigation leads to that you cannot wire 2x DVC 4ohm subs at a 2ohm configuration, its either 1ohm or 4 ohm

Ive tested many configurations and i cannot acheive a final 2 ohm impedance on my 2 alpine 4ohm subwoofers

Am i getting this right or do i need to return the subs for an exchange

Thank you

but wired at 4 ohms the subs will not get the power required for their full potential right? i mean JL audio jx1000 feeds 500 watts into 2 subs that is 1500 watts, thats my concern

Either return the subs and get D2 versions or return/sell the amp and get a 1 ohm stable amp. Those subs are severely underpowered with your current setup. Or you could just use one sub and give it the power it needs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.