Properly powering LED lights interior

Participant count
  • Participant list

JoeK
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ringtown, PA
I want to buy 12V red LEDs for my kick panels in the front. But how do i wire them so they turn on and off automatically? Ones from walmart plug into the cig lighter which turns off in 10 mins. But i dont want to use that. Can i tap into my HU remote wire? I only plan to run 2 maybe 3 of these. 15-strip lights

Probably just tap into any good sized wire that only has power when the ignition is on LED's don't draw very much.
In my car that is not possible. Only fuse that is like that is IGN1 in my rear box which only goes with the engine

I'll probably end up tapping them off of my remote wire. I did wire an LED bar to my old LC2i and that one is a hog compared to these.

I'll probably end up tapping them off of my remote wire. I did wire an LED bar to my old LC2i and that one is a hog compared to these.
I wouldn't draw anything directly from the remote, that's asking for trouble, I think this is basically the relay that I linked to you, it turns on with the remote wire and supplys a solid 2A of current.

PAC TR-4 (tr4) Remote Turn-on Module - Sonic Electronix

You need to know how much current they take. Remote outputs have very limited current capability, usually less than 200 ma (0.2 amp). If there's no spec on the LEDs you can measure their current with the milliamps function of a DMM. Any more than 150 ma and I would use a relay or that PAC remote thing.

What car do you have that has no wires under the dash that turn on with the car.

I am sure you have 20+ circuits under your dash that come on with the car.

If you are deadset on using your power from your radio just hook it to the red wire going to your radio, it is one of many wires that get power when the car is on.

Do not hook up anything to your remote wire, that is not smart.

I just wanted automatic switched power and i am no good at touching stock wires and making relays. Ill check with a DMM if the red wire is switched and etc, cause that will be easy to run the wires in that case.

I have that PAC module wishlisted if it comes down that i need it.

Does your radio come on and off with the car? - of course it does.

It is the red wire that does that.

You do not need relays to run led lights.

Also please tell me what kind of car you have.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.