Project 'rex

LoneRanger
10+ year member

Old Yamahas Give Me Wood
For those of you who've been on this forum for a while and remember me, it's great to finally have something worthwhile to share with you.

In september of last year, Gnome Audio closed its doors. It wasn't because business was bad or because I moved on to bigger and better things. I was simply fed up with car audio as a whole. As it turns out, when you take the one thing that you consider a hobby and turn it into a job, the burn-out rate is pretty high.

But much like the herpes, the itch for car audio is back and I've started a project you guys should be interested in.

In march I purchased a 1991 CRX si. I told myself at the time that I wasn't going to shove a big-ass system in it and I was going to stay focused on my new hobbies: vintage motorcycles and small-displacement, lightweight cars. I started by acquiring an Acura b18 engine, ECU and fuel system, a full-on tokico suspension and an aluminum radiator.

After finishing a conversion like that, most people would be left with a sense of accomplishment and satisfaction, but not I. There was still something missing. Swearing to myself not to get bit by the audio bug, I went back to work on my '81 Honda CB750 Custom. Now that it's complete, I'm still left with an empty feeling in my chest every time I cruise my 'rex on the glorious back roads of Southern Ohio.

So here I am, a recovering junky who fell off the wagon. I want to put some bumps in the CRX. I know my way around a speaker box, but with all the new products on the market, I don't even know where to start. I'm currently using a small ported box built to spec for one of the newer pioneer "1000w" subs and my trusty old USAmps tu-600. Its pretty pathetic, but it will suffice until I get some real equipment in the trunk. Here's where you guys come in:

I need a pair of 15" subwoofers, a set of components, an amp for the components, and a 1200w mono-block subwoofer amplifier. You pick 'em, I'll install em and do a step-by-step pictorial installation log on the forum for everyone to see. We'll do this by popular vote, so just chime in with your two cents and 1 week from today, I'll get out the credit card and order the equipment you choose. There is a $1500 budget for the install, and the electrical system has already been upgraded with a 200 ampere alternator, a pair of yellow tops behind the passenger's seat and is already wired with a 2awg amplifier kit from my pals down at H&K Sound in Jackson, Ohio.

So here's to a clean slate and a great forum.

Donn Ballenger

Connisure of Fine Ales and Herbs //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

what are you looking for? competition or SQ?

there are going to be many biased opinions, like the above for soundsplinter, whereas I am all for ReAudio.... I havent heard the soundsplinters but they are talked about many times....

well now.. a budget of 1500 isn't too bad to work with. The RL-p would be a quality choice for a sub.. and a solid amp from Kicker (KX1200.1) would be good for those. then if you wanted to hop on the kicker bandwagon.. there are plenty of good comps from them and multiple amps to match.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.