Project restoration rare Precision Power white 2300m!

Shinju
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Seattle
Due to my camera being a pile of junk right now I lost a few photos of the solider job on the new ground cable.

Anyway I got this local. Being that the only PPI 2300m's that I have ever seen were black I have never seen a white one other then the 2300am I just sold not to long ago.

The amp was well loved pretty dirty and missing the 5 pin speaker plug, I got it home and tested it the amp fired right up but sounded weak, so I pulled the bottom off and noticed that the ground cable was hanging by a thread and pretty much broke off the board when I pulled the face place were the wires come out of.

At this point I pulled the board and started to tear into it. I will caption each photo.

Here is the heat sink inside, PPI and their use of excessive thermal past was removed and high temp Kapton tape was put in place of that white crusty 20 year old thermal past and clear Mica pads that were so brittle they crumbled when removed, with a small micro layer of clear gel type thermal compound over the kapton tape for added thermal displacement. Kapton tape is a very nice alternitive and a much cleaner look, This stuff can take up to 500 degrees before it breaks down, This amp will never see that unless a transistor blows up.

I had to use a small drill bit to bore out the hole in the board to get the bigger ground cable in and rebuilt the soldier pad for a better footing for the cable much better then the one from the factory.

I also reflowed the soldier on all the fets with a heatgun although it probably didnt need it, it most definatly didnt hurt anything.

Before

Sorry for the crappy light, My cell phone doesnt have a flash but you can clearly see that the ground cable was missing and the white thermal paste all over the **** place.

2011-06-12161759.jpg

Here it is mostly cleaned up and waiting for the Kapton Tape to arrive!

2011-06-13172142.jpg

After

Kapton Tape on the sink to replace that god **** white paste and clear mica pads!

IMG_4568.jpg

Here is the finish product with everything mounted down getting ready to put it all back together for testing.

IMG_4569.jpg

The end product is a very nice working and rare Precision Power White 2300m, I have it running on the bench at 4ohm per channel, This amplifier is not brigable it can do 2ohm x2 for 600rms per channel 12v.

IMG_4570.jpg

IMG_4572.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of Kapton tape did you use? I tried looking on their website but couldn't figure it out.

The last company I worked at had this stuff that was green. It was like a weird cloth type paper with this green paste on both sides. You peeled off the protective plastic then used it as your insulator/thermal paste. At some temperature it would phase shift and the green paste stuff which was fairly solid flows a bit and fills in the crevices. It was pretty decent stuff but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

What kind of Kapton tape did you use? I tried looking on their website but couldn't figure it out.
The last company I worked at had this stuff that was green. It was like a weird cloth type paper with this green paste on both sides. You peeled off the protective plastic then used it as your insulator/thermal paste. At some temperature it would phase shift and the green paste stuff which was fairly solid flows a bit and fills in the crevices. It was pretty decent stuff but I can't remember the name for the life of me.

I got this from Kapton Tapes Kapton Tapes, 1 Mil Kapton Tape I got the 1" 36 yard roll.

Stuff works great!

So the tape is only replacing the insulator right? It's not meant to be used as a stand alone thermal transfer medium?
It can but I am over cautious and put a thin layer of clear thermal paste on top of the tape anyway. And yes the tape is replacing the old clear mica pads that were orignally inside the amplifier.

The Kapton tape is much thicker then those and much more durable to heat.

Very nice dude! Wanna fix my hifonics? (half serious here)
Naw, I only did very easy repair work, I didnt have to change any of the transistors or anything of that nature, Just a simple soldier job on the wire and excessive thermal paste clean up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.