Professional's SQ setups - What are they?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Originally posted by Mark_ab Is there a place online that has system diagrams of what some of the IASCA SQ guru's have in their cars? That could help me out quite a bit.
http://www.concertcar.com/

Scott Buwalda's Expert 240SX

http://www.audionutz.com/civicar.htm

Steven Head's Expert Civic

Both take installation to the extreme. Steven worked on his car on and off for over a year, and it shows.

Very nice man... a complete asset to the car audio community.

I've seen the first fellows install. The second guy is a little nuts too. I was thinking more along the lines of simple. Like Zane's setup. I'd just like to get an idea of what good SQ cars use regarding EQ's and XOvers. Thanks though, they are certainly impressive cars, inside and out.

http://www.soundillusions.net/sites/phd-12v/

My friend Jason Ewing's car... you do NOT get any more simple... head unit, EQ, crossover, two amps, single sub, and horns up front, midbass in the doors...

Took fourth at IASCA finals last year.

He didn't get photos of the inside on there, I'll see if I can't get him off his arse to get you some... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

FYI, he used ID 31's for EQ's and the IDX24 for the crossover.. (ID31's I'm sure of, I can't recall the exact number for the crossover, just that it is another ID product)

Thanks for the pics. What kind of compression horns, and HU does he have? Are there particular XO's and EQ's that are preferred in the SQ circle? I may dabble in competition in the near future, nothing serious, but just for fun. Also, if I have a larger car (Z34, T-Bird etc) would a rear stage be necessary?

Originally posted by Mark_ab Thanks for the pics. What kind of compression horns, and HU does he have? Are there particular XO's and EQ's that are preferred in the SQ circle? I may dabble in competition in the near future, nothing serious, but just for fun. Also, if I have a larger car (Z34, T-Bird etc) would a rear stage be necessary?
Preferred is a clique'ish thing IMO, but you are right, you do see it in some of the circles... I'd feel safe running Image Dynamics, Phoenix Gold, PPI, and Audio Control for EQ's, same for crossovers. They all rate high in my book.

Found another photo of his car (internal shot), and btw, I picked on him about the mat, but he swears it helped his imaging and response...

http://www.caraudioresources.net/gallery/categories/2002_Spring_Break_Nationals/media/P1010063.jpg

For the HU, he is using the old skool pioneer ODR system, so I'd suggest you give up trying to match that, as those are very hard to get your hands on, there were only a few full ODR systems in the US... so finding them can be rough.

His fronts use Image Dynamics Cd1pro mini-horns and Image Dynamics IDQ62 midbass drivers

Or hell, go here:

http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12710&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Jason talks a little bit about his system, and covers all the parts of it in the second page... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

*Edit*

As for rear fill, I do NOT believe in it, in ANY car, unless you are going with a 5.1 system.

Proper front placement and imaging should pretty much negate them completely.

Head units arent real hard..most of the hard core SQ guys spend at least a grand on it..I don't think it is really necessary though when you are starting out but it doesnt hurt..My brand peference is Pioneer so I would use the DEX P9 and the EQ that goes with it for around $1500 for both..You can just as easily get Alpine or Eclipse for around the same...If the HU that is picked out doesnt have what it takes to drive their amp without having to crank the gains then some will use line drivers..Personally I would fear the induction of noise (if that was the right word) SPL is a much better place for line drivers.

Mike

Originally posted by mykeys Personally I would fear the induction of noise (if that was the right word) SPL is a much better place for line drivers.

Mike
Why would line drivers be used for SPL? Line drivers are used to bump up signal voltage to resist inducted noise in a system and help increase your s/n ratio across the system. That is definitely a SQ standpoint, SPL would have no benefit to it as they aren't very concerned with where the gains are on the system, because it just has to meet a single setting: balls to the wall.

I personally use sony's older ES line (my deck was from 98, I still have it)

The C910 and the C90 are two high-end decks featuring optical out. Pioneer P9-D9 combo is very nice, and insanely expensive, as is the Alpine F1 status equipment...

The reason I say they cn introduce noise is because the more electronics you have hooked up to your system the more likely you will get some kind of noise..They just arent necessary.

Mike

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.