problems with JL 500/1

60_cent
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
atlanta, GA
I've been have problems with my 500/1 since it was installed two weeks ago by my installer. When I crank the the subs up it with cut on and off. I looked at the amp when it cuts on and off and all the lights are off, so it is not in protection mode or anything like that. The problem comes and goes and I've checked over the install and everything seems fine. I bought the amp used so I'm thinking I got ripped off.

Is the problem internal?

Could a local amp repair man handle the repair or will it need to go to Jl?

i would get a meter (dmm) on it to make sure you are providing enough juice for it.. the jl amps are a regulated design so they are pretty power hungry. they do have protection circuits for undervoltage... make sure to check to see what you are providing it with at those higher volumes when it is cutting out.. could also be the sub possibly this is more unlikley but it could happen as you may be overdriving them...

i got the same problem too! lemme know if you find out whats wrong with it?

when your amp turns off, does it come back on? is it clipping?

or when you jack up the volume the amp is on, but the subs arent getting any power? thats the problem i have.

wow ive seen this twice now at the shop also.. maybe a issue with some of the new run?? i reserched the whole **** car and didnt find anything.. he brought it back to where he bought it since we are not jl dealers and got it swapped, all is fine now.. all we did was swap it out and its great now... def check with a meter and make sure...

Hmm, I got my amp through ebay. And JL doesnt authorize internet sales. But i got warranty through SquareTrade, but I doubt they would warranty me a New one. Where should i go from here?

So this problem is not necessarily the amps problem? Is this problem common to alot of people, not just for those that have the 500/1 amp? Cause my ground it grounded to metal with paint over it.

I've been have problems with my 500/1 since it was installed two weeks ago by my installer. When I crank the the subs up it with cut on and off. I looked at the amp when it cuts on and off and all the lights are off, so it is not in protection mode or anything like that. The problem comes and goes and I've checked over the install and everything seems fine. I bought the amp used so I'm thinking I got ripped off.
Is the problem internal?

Could a local amp repair man handle the repair or will it need to go to Jl?
check your fuse under the hood. . we had that same thing today.

like i said check the car FIRST... it is most likely the problem but dont 150% count the amp out yet either... it is POSSIBLE.. when we had the one here all we did was do a direct swap and it was fine after that nothing else changed whatsoever..

like i said check the car FIRST... it is most likely the problem but dont 150% count the amp out yet either... it is POSSIBLE.. when we had the one here all we did was do a direct swap and it was fine after that nothing else changed whatsoever..
Direct swap? You mean you switched the amp?

Well, if it is indeed my amp that is the problem, what do i do cause i bought my amp on ebay?!?! Im stressing right now cause i cant bring it to an authorized dealer to get a new one.

So this problem is not necessarily the amps problem? Is this problem common to alot of people, not just for those that have the 500/1 amp? Cause my ground it grounded to metal with paint over it.

umm,

u have to sand before u put the ground,

it has to be shinning pure metal, sand like a bi*ch , then put wire ground on that pure metal for maximum response, and it should be good...

only thing you can do is if it is the amp call jl and see what they wil charge to fix it if then even will...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.