Problem...

flamefire806
10+ year member

Glasgow
I have a Sony CDX-M610 CD player in my 95 Mustang. I replaced the 4 6x8 factory speakers with 4 6x8 Pioneer TS-D680R's. When ever I turn the Music up to about 1/2 way, then the speakers start to sound awful. The bass is all messed up and It just sounds terrible. Also starts kind of cutting out on the treble. The bass gets kind of muffeled. It also does it a little but not quite as bad with the bass is down. What can I do to prevent this?

Buy an amp. It will increase the headroom. And you will be able to turn it up louder before the onset of extreme distortion. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Check out the us acoustics line. They have several really good priced amps. That give thier rated power, and are very reliable. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Don't forget the sound deadening! If your spkrs are mounted to metal they are turnng your car's body into a big spkr and thoroughly messin' things up. If you haven't already, get some sound deadening material like Brown Bread (much cheaper then Dynamat and just as good if not better) and do all the metal under and around the spkrs. If your spkrs are mounted to the metal itself DEFINATELY pull them back out long enough to put some SD mat inbetween them and the metal. That alone will make a big difference. It will isolate your spkrs from the car and make them much more effective. You spkrs will be louder, clearer and have much better bass.

Start there and then look into an amp. An amp will help considerably, but if your spkrs are not mounted or wired right, then there are still gonna sound like krackos sitting in the rear window. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

God bless you, come back with your questions.

Originally posted by Eddieca85 How would an amp help? wouldnt that just send more power to the speakers thus makeing it sound worse? Im new and im kinda having that same problem so im curious.

--Eddie
ON the contrary. By adding an amp. Your speakers will be louder due to the increase in power. Most of the time the distortion ( crappy sound) you are hearing is caused by cranking the volume on your headunit. With an amp you want have to crank the volume so high to achieve the same realative volume level. See what I'm getting at ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Most H/U's make about 6w to 25w per ch. of power. Trying to get high volume from this relatively low amount of power is like hooking a Fire Truck hose up to your kitchen faucet and expecting to get tons of water preasure. It's just not there; consequently the spkrs distort from lack of juice (have you ever gone around a corner real fast with very little gas in your car and had it almost stall from losing fuel pressure? Then you get the idea). An amp will push more and better quality power to your spkrs and they will sound much better when turned up (just make sure to match the RMS output of the amp to the RMS capability of the spkrs).

Listen to Ramos. Revere Ramos. Heed his wisdom. He is a man of much audiophileness.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Originally posted by ramos ON the contrary. By adding an amp. Your speakers will be louder due to the increase in power. Most of the time the distortion ( crappy sound) you are hearing is caused by cranking the volume on your headunit. With an amp you want have to crank the volume so high to achieve the same realative volume level. See what I'm getting at ? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
OOOOOOOOO i get it now. That makes perfect sense. Maybe i should do that. I jsut got my infinitys in the mail today and i hooked them up, so much better then the POS radio shack ones i had( i was being cheap and im still a beginer) THe RMS is 100 on those bad boys and im only putting like 25 to them, so if i added a 4 ch. amp to run the 4 speakers in the car itself they would probly sound alot better and alot louder huh?

I Already have a 2 ch amp hooked up for my subs and i only have one pair or preouts, is there any way i could hook up another amp with out haveing to buy a new HU with addition preouts?

Sorry to get off topic, i thoguth starting a new thread would be pointless and i didnt wnat to waste peoples time.

--Eddie

You can do one of two things. First, what amp do you have? Many amps (generally the ones with built in cross overs) will also have a preamp output so you can run the signal to another amp. If this is the case you can add another amp while still only having one preout form your H/U. If your current amp does not have outputs you could also buy a 4 ch. with a built in cross over that has an output as well, and put it before the 2 ch. (provided your H/U's preout is not sub only). You could then run the 4 ch. at full range and set it's crossover to send low frequencies to the 2 ch.

The other solution would be to buy a cross over. You can put it inline from your H/U and set it to send mid and high frequencies (like 80hz and above) to your 4 ch. and low frequencies (under 80hz) to your subs. I'm assuming you're running your 2 ch. bridged to mono and the subs wired in parallel? I'd stick with the same brand of amp when you buy the 4 ch. and even try to find the same year model if possible. This will weed out any mis-matching problems

Again, don't forget the sound deadening material. The quality of the install can make all the difference. If you're fairly new at this check out this website, it has a wealth of information on it.

Come back if you have anymore questions. God bless you.

I dont think my amp has another preout. ITs has a LPF filter or somthing like that. I have been thinking about buying a cross over tho, so with tha till be able to plug in another amp? Thanks for all the info

--Eddie

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.