Prob a dumb question about digital optical

Participant count
  • Participant list

Boomin_tahoe
5,000+ posts

Hurtin' feelings errrday.
WA
I got a Panasonic 53" big screen TV, a Panasonic DMR-ES20 DVD recorder and a Harmon/Kardon AV245 receiver. I just bought a optical digital cable and not sure where and what area it plugs into. From what I'm looking at so far, it seems it goes into the DVD recorder and one of the 2 outputs of my H/K receiver. This is just a guess, and from the manuals, it seems right. Someone else may have a better idea or I'm on the right track.

Is it a DVD player or recorder?

If its a DVD player, then you put it in the output on that, and an input on the reciever.

If its a recorder, then it goes in the input on the recorder and an output on the reciever.

It goes from the digital out on the DVR to the digital in on the reciever so you can hear the Dolby Digital/DTS tracks on DVD's.

If you have a digital cable box, you would wire its digital out to the DVR's digital in so it can record any Dolby Digital/DTS the channels broadcast.

Does that help?

Ok, just to see what happens, this is what I did. Since there's only one output on my DVD recorder/player, that's where I plugged it into. I noticed I have 3 outputs on the back of my H/K receiver....man, lookin on the back of this thing looks like a nasa rocket. Anyway, not to get off track, I plugged the other end into the input one. I messed up at the beginning...I have the AVR 240 model, NOT the 245 model.

go from the output on the dvd recorder to the input on the receiver

you may need to go into the receiver menu and assign the correct input to the DVD function

also set the receiver to "auto" detection so that it will auto detect the sound format(DD, DTS, Stereo) coming from the dvd player

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.