Powered sub advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

snipe523
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Troy, NY
I used to have big systems with high end subs and a lot of power.......... and then I had kids and got married lol. Well now that I have kids and a wife I don't have the room for the systems I used to put in my cars. I currently have a Nissan Frontier quad cab. Due to the fact that I couldn't afford to give up any storage space in the cab I installed a Sound Ordnance B-8PTD behind the rear passenger seat. While it sounds ok and does an ok job of filling in the low end it still just doesn't quite cut it for what I'm looking for. Now I know I'm never going to get the same sound as a separate sub and amp, but I want an upgrade over what I currently have and these powered subs are all I can fit in this truck. Does anyone have any experience with any of the other models similar to this one? Any recommendations on which one may be the best route for an upgrade over this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't have experience with powered subs nor do I have experience with Nissan trucks, but do you have enough space to fit a couple 8s under the rear seat? Would possibly have to raise the seat a couple inches. I know some guys did that with Chevy trucks.

There is enough room and there are pre made boxes available for that specific application, but I have built in storage bins there that I have full of stuff. If I didn't need those then that would definitely be my preferred route as I know I'd get much better sound.

Pic of the bins with the seats flipped up. These are removable, I would have to find somewhere good to store all this stuff though.

9e6a15e9e3ecfd3cfafa8497eb6a3ffe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't get a pre fab box anyway. Way better off having CSCStang build you a box for that. Throw the storage bins in a tool box is what I'd do. TWo SA-8s or HDS208s under the seat would be exceptional

Now you've got me thinking more about going with two 8"s under there. One of my favorite systems I ever had was actually two Elemental Designs 8A's in a sealed enclosure. That system just sounded amazing. It didn't have near the output of my bigger systems but I didn't care because of the super clean sound. I still regret selling those things. Im guessing the most I could get would be about .5 cubic feet per sub under those seats. Would either of your recommendations do well in that size sealed box?

Mounting depth might be tight with those. I'll have to take some measurements when I get a chance. They look like **** nice subs though.

why not just elevate the entire rear floor up 10"? Use the entire new space for enclosure, amps, batteries, etc.. Either that or a small wall behind the rear seat, width of the car from the headrest down.

Either way, still leaves plenty of space in the rear.

If I didn't have kids that needed to use that space I would be all set. I need to leave the seating space the way it is so I can transport the family. Also there isn't any room behind the rear seats for a full setup. I just barely fit the current powered sub behind there.

That picture you posted above, built a center console in the floorboard which would separate leg room from the left and right seat.

That should easily house a ported 8 or sealed\ported 10"

Do you have room under the vehicle to mount accessible tool box and relocate all that stuff there as well?

Mounting depth might be tight with those. I'll have to take some measurements when I get a chance. They look like **** nice subs though.

Mounting depth of an HDS208 is less than an SA-8, so i'd try to stick with the 208s. I've never hear them in a sealed box before. Give us the dimensions of the space you have and are willing to give up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.