PowerBass 3xl 15? Yay or Nay?

AstoSoup
10+ year member

So I was about to order my Soundstream SPLX 15, when I realized they suddenly are out of stock and may not restock the subs. I am limited to what NewEgg.com has to offer, unfortunately, because I have credit through them and am strapped for cash.... I seen the PowerBass 3xl 15 for like $165, 1000w RMS, 3" voice coil, etc.

My question is, will my Hifonics BRZ1700.1D be too much for this sub? I know the amp will only do rated 1700RMS at 14.4v and although I have no volt meter as of yet, I am probably not getting that much voltage. Would this sub compare to the SPLX in terms of SPL, surpass it, or not even measure up to it? Never had any experience with PB but have heard good things about the 3xl. Sub will be going in a 4.4 cu^ enclosure, tuned at 30HZ. Just do not want to fry this sub like I did the POS PA Mofo, so any input on these subs would be great!

Thank you!

A lot of people have told me that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif What do you think the actual RMS is on it, roughly? Glad to hear that 3xl is a good sub, may be better than the SPLX afterall //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I'm going to upgrade to a DC Power 2k or 3k, once I add a second sub. For now, I just want the most SPL I can get out of this Hifonics, without smoking the voice coils on the sub lol. That's two votes for the 3xl.... I know vs. threads can be argumentative at times, haha, but would the 3xl do better for SPL than say a Type -R 15 or a Soundstream T7 15?

those 3xls can put in some work. Probably the best newegg has to offer.

Type Rs have more resale value so you can sell it off easier due to the alpine name. If you want to account that aspect in.

Might want to check your voltages when you have your system on full blast. Volts will drop fast if you are clipping.

A friend of mine has a DD-1, so I will be making **** good sure I'm not clipping, just blew a MOFO 152x, I believe either due to clipping or that it was a PA lol. I have no resale desire as I will just add more 3xl's if I want more, but otherwise the 3xl should be better on SPL? Box specs are in my sig.If my amp won't be too much for it, I think that's enough positive feedback to give it a try. Thanks everyone for your help, I appreciate it!

Sorry, them are the box specs for the Soundstream. The box I built for the MOFO 15, that I plan on using is the same box, with two, 4" aero ports. one 6" or two 4" ports on the PB 15, what you guys think?

According to the pb web page, the largest is 3cuft. 4cuft maybe be a bit too big for one of the, but it is almost big enough for 2. I would just be real careful with the gain set up, because you can cause the sub to 'unload' and over excurte when the box is to large.

According to the pb web page, the largest is 3cuft. 4cuft maybe be a bit too big for one of the, but it is almost big enough for 2. I would just be real careful with the gain set up, because you can cause the sub to 'unload' and over excurte when the box is to large.
From what I am reading, 4.5 is optimal for a ported enclosure, that's after sub and port displacement. So in actuality, the box may be a little small. Maybe you got the wrong spec sheet? My biggest concern is, whether I should go with two, 4" aero's or one, 6" aero? I have seen most setups with bigger 15's using a 6" port. As it is, it has two, 4"x12" aeros and was lacking a little on the low end, tuned at 32Hz.

http://www.powerbassusa.com/sites/powerbassusa.com/files/3XL_Woofer_Manual%20v2.pdf

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

AstoSoup

10+ year member
AstoSoup
Mexico, NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from