Power!!!

sexyswede
10+ year member

Okay, not doing any research whatsoever, My friend and I went to Radioshack and bought a 140W RMS power invertor that plugs into your cigarette lighter adapter in the car. We were planning on hooking up a cheapo computer to play mp3z.

then we proceeded to hook everything up in my car

(87 Volvo 240) and it worked beautifully. Everything was just peachy, we were listening to music, it was great. wE were running the computer, and a 15" moniter.

But then the power cuts out and Everything turns off.

I unhook everything and turn the car back on, But neither the PowerSUpply Or the CD DECK TURN ON!!!!

I tried the power supply in another vechile and it works fine, but it won't work in mine!

What really puzzles me though, is that when i took off the removable faceplate off the deck, the security light still is blinking, meaning that it is still getting power.

The lights and all other electrical aspects in the car work fine, except for the lighter adapter and the CD DECK, what do i do?

what happened is that you were pulling too much juice.. find your fuse pannle and find the one for your stero power the one off your ignition if you dont have one look and see if you have an inline fuse on your power wire to your stereo or if its a good stereo the one on the stereo it self if your cig lighter isnt working or power point which ever it might be find the fuse to it and replace it sounds like you just blew a fuse or two...

Later let me know...

Originally posted by Harman Kardon!! oh yeah its not a security lite it is blinking to tell you it has power for the memory... late dude..
well, under neath the light it says security and its blinking red light tho....

Originally posted by Harman Kardon!! what happened is that you were pulling too much juice.. find your fuse pannle and find the one for your stero power the one off your ignition if you dont have one look and see if you have an inline fuse on your power wire to your stereo or if its a good stereo the one on the stereo it self if your cig lighter isnt working or power point which ever it might be find the fuse to it and replace it sounds like you just blew a fuse or two...

Later let me know...
ummm, i sorta understand what you're saying, where would i fins these fuses?

Fuses in your car/truck will be under the dash in a pannle on dash or on side of dash when you open your door some cars (standards) like saturn and such have pannles beside the kick pannle or infront of center consule area and some have them under the hood.. will have to look in owners manual if you cant find it

stereo

In line.. take stereo out and look on wires for a fuse on power wire..

on stereo... on the back of stereo..

and what kind of stereo is it??

Originally posted by Harman Kardon!! Fuses in your car/truck will be under the dash in a pannle on dash or on side of dash when you open your door some cars (standards) like saturn and such have pannles beside the kick pannle or infront of center consule area and some have them under the hood.. will have to look in owners manual if you cant find it

stereo

In line.. take stereo out and look on wires for a fuse on power wire..

on stereo... on the back of stereo..

and what kind of stereo is it??
well, i'm positive i blew the first fuse then.

Cause i looked in the manuel and it says that that fuse

controls the stereo and lighter.

Is it safe to do this again? Should i buy a high rated fuse?

Whats the correct way to do what i was doing (run computer)

to be honest you need the size fuse the specs show for the car and I dont think it is safe to try it again cause a computer/labtop is a little much power being drawn.. what you need is a stereo that plays mps's like an aiwa thats what i have and it play cdr's and mp3;s though youd have to have an mp2 burner though... I would take it to a dealer or a speaker shop that knows what they are doing to be honest and let them check it out and try it..

what kind of radio?? just curious..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.