Power Question

Hunter079

I am considering connecting 2 Pioneer subs to a kenwood amp. The RMS of the two subs combined is 800W and the RMS of the amp is 1000W. However, the peak of the two subs combined is 2800W and the peak of the amp is only 2000W. Will this work or do I need a more powerful amp?

There is no standard on peak ratings. Manufacturers use it for marketing. RMS is the only thing that matters. Just be sure that the amp will do the power you need based on the resistance of the subs. E.g. if your subs are dual 4 ohm, each sub can be wired down to 2 ohm individually and then the pair wired down to 1 ohm, so you would want an amp that does say 1000w @ 1 ohm RMS.

There is no standard on peak ratings. Manufacturers use it for marketing. RMS is the only thing that matters. Just be sure that the amp will do the power you need based on the resistance of the subs. E.g. if your subs are dual 4 ohm, each sub can be wired down to 2 ohm individually and then the pair wired down to 1 ohm, so you would want an amp that does say 1000w @ 1 ohm RMS.
Okay thanks. Each sub is single 4 ohm with 400w RMS and the amp I am looking is rated at 1000w RMS @ 2 ohm so it should be good then right?

Okay thanks. Each sub is single 4 ohm with 400w RMS and the amp I am looking is rated at 1000w RMS @ 2 ohm so it should be good then right?
Yes, that is fine if you set it up correctly.

I always like my amp to be more powerful than what I think my subs can take. That way you can reach the full potential of your subs with a clean signal

Yes, it'll be fine. Also, something to keep in mind...unless the amp is CEA-2006 compliant, which yours probably is, there is no RMS rating standard. Manufacturer can print whatever they please. Even with CEA-2006 compliance, I believe they certify the amp will do rated power at 4 ohms, so there's no guarantee it'll perform as described at lower loads, unless you've seen it bench tested. Hook it up, set it up right, and see what it does.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.