Power loss at amp...

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ty1erG

CarAudio.com Newbie
Using a multimeter at the amp ground and power terminals vehicle running I get 7 volts, if I remove the power cable and measure it still using amp ground terminal I get full power(13 volts). I ran a test lead directly from battery to amp and got full power as well. So that tells me that the ground is good and the issue is in the power cable. Is that correct, if so what should I be looking for? I have an inline breaker between the amp and battery but no other junctions. I also ran a jumper from the breaker to amp to rule out a faulty breaker

What does your alternator put out? Measure voltage at the battery with the vehicle running. Your engine will stall before your voltage dips to 7v.

Where in ND are you? I could help you out if you want.

Last edited:
What does your alternator put out? Measure voltage at the battery with the vehicle running. Your engine will stall before your voltage dips to 7v.
13.7 volts at the battery, and at the power cable. But when I put the cable on the amp and measure it is when it drops. But only drops at the amp, still have 13.7 everywhere else

Fixed it! Owner had a cheap inline fuse holder that was hiding below the battery tray, one side of it was just barely hanging on. I completely removed it since he also had a circuit breaker and cleaned up the connections...now he is back in action and pissing off the neighbors lol. Thanks everyone for your input and advice!!

Fixed it! Owner had a cheap inline fuse holder that was hiding below the battery tray, one side of it was just barely hanging on. I completely removed it since he also had a circuit breaker and cleaned up the connections...now he is back in action and pissing off the neighbors lol. Thanks everyone for your input and advice!!
Nice find. Generally always an issue at a Break /Spliced area. Ikeep approx. 4-6 inches of wiring on each side of a main Fuse to refresh to Clean wiring when needed. Pretty much Maintenance, and check all connections 2-4 times a year

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...