Power issue

mhogan55

I drive a 2012 toyota camry and have a 12" Alpine type X being pushed by a Rockford Fosgate 1501db (old but reliable). I also have a 1 farad cap wired in which I will not be using soon if I do the big 3 upgrade. I am also using an LC2i for RCAs. So here is my issue - one day the power just cut off to everything. Now, being the rockhead I am, I thought it was the LC2i based on limited testing. It wasn't this because I purchased a new one but did not help. I was then led to believe the amp was no longer good because it was not getting any juice. The cap was still coming on at this point. I did purchase a new amp thinking the amp was bad - the new amp also was not getting any power. So, I tried wiring the power from the battery straight to the amp instead of the cap. Again, nothing. Now here is where it gets weird and outside of my expertise. The power wire (4 gauge) is now not producing anything. All of the fuses are good, I replaced those as well just to be sure. There is nothing going to the back. Voltage at the battery is 12.5 when the car is off and 13.5 when the car is on. However, no power is going back. I also tried a new amp kit to make sure the wiring didn't go bad. This also didn't work. I am out of ideas and can't prove the battery or alternator are bad because the car runs just fine. I would sincerely appreciate any ideas or help you can provide on this issue. Thanks in advance!

Did you use a gromet where you passed the power wire in to the car? If not vibration could have worn the wire and caused it to ground out. It would be draining your battery when your car is off though.

Thanks for the replies. I checked my grounds and made sure they were solid. They are bolted to bare metal in my trunk. This setup has been working like champ since I put it in close to two years ago. Just suddenly started acting up and it is driving me crazy. Oh, and the power cable is bolted to the positive connector. Has always worked fine before.

Did you check the fuse inline on the power wire near the battery? If you do not have a fuse, put one in immediately or risk burning your camry to the ground.

Do you have a dmm to check voltage? also did you check the amp turn on wire? you can run a small piece of wire from the + on the amp temporarily to check turn on assuming you are getting voltage from power wire.

Ok, just checked voltage again on the power wire. It is at 4.2 volts. This is why nothing is turning on. However, this is strange because the battery is at 12.4. I just measured again when the car is off and has been sitting over night. Any idea why the battery seems to be fine but the power cable is only sending 4.2 volts?

Ok, took the whole power wire out and tested it. Seemed fine - no damage that I could see. Voltage was right at 4. I ran the other amp kit externally again to see if the numbers would match. They did. The voltage was right at 4. Is my battery going bad?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.