Power cable broke from inline fuse holder. What's the correct procedure for fixing?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Greetings.

I apologize for the noobie question. I've been trying to find an answer but I haven't seen anything that matches my situation closely enough to put my mind at ease. I just want to verify before I do something that may cause damage to my gear.

I had to disconnect the negative and positive terminals on my battery to install a short ram intake for my car. When I took out the power cable going from the battery to the inline fuse, the ring terminal broke off at the fuse holder. Now I've got a loose bit of cable and my amps are no longer powered. I had a local car audio shop put on a new terminal for me so the crimp should be much better this time around. Now it's just a matter of getting it hooked back up.

What is the correct order for handling this? I need to get the old terminal out and reattach the cable. Where I get lost is what parts need to be disconnected and in what order would they need to be reconnected.

I'm just not sure about how to handle the fuse. They make me a bit nervous so I thought I'd call upon the experts of CarAudio. I have a rough idea of what to do but I figured it would be better to put it off for a little bit to get a reliable answer instead of running the risk of screwing something up.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

All the best,

StinkPiece

Greetings.
I apologize for the noobie question. I've been trying to find an answer but I haven't seen anything that matches my situation closely enough to put my mind at ease. I just want to verify before I do something that may cause damage to my gear.

I had to disconnect the negative and positive terminals on my battery to install a short ram intake for my car. When I took out the power cable going from the battery to the inline fuse, the ring terminal broke off at the fuse holder. Now I've got a loose bit of cable and my amps are no longer powered. I had a local car audio shop put on a new terminal for me so the crimp should be much better this time around. Now it's just a matter of getting it hooked back up.

What is the correct order for handling this? I need to get the old terminal out and reattach the cable. Where I get lost is what parts need to be disconnected and in what order would they need to be reconnected.

I'm just not sure about how to handle the fuse. They make me a bit nervous so I thought I'd call upon the experts of CarAudio. I have a rough idea of what to do but I figured it would be better to put it off for a little bit to get a reliable answer instead of running the risk of screwing something up.

Thank you for your time. I appreciate any advice you have to offer.

All the best,

StinkPiece
this may not be correct by all standards but id just remove the fuse and reconnect the wires then put the fuse back in

So I should:

1. Disconnect the battery (I'll be messing with the amp's wiring anyway; I want to bridge my front speakers instead of letting two of the channels go to waste)

2. Remove the fuse

3. Remove the old terminal ring

4. Replace put the power cable back into the inline fuse holder

5. Put the fuse back in the holder

6. Reconnect the amp's power cable to the positive terminal / reconnect the battery

I hope I'm following you correctly. It sounds as simple as I would have expected. It's nice getting some reassurance from more experienced installers.

Thanks for the reply, bgowdy31.

first disconnect the battery ground,

then remove the old ring terminal.

remove fuse.

remove put on newly attached wire.

replace fuse.

put ground back on. (should make a click/spark sound)

and done.

Excellent! Thanks a lot. I'm going to go take care of it right now. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

--

I got it all taken care of. It only took a few minutes and it's all in working order. Thanks a lot for the help, guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.