Power, but no sound. Also thumping

dk6640
10+ year member

I will try and give as many details as possible.

I just recently purchased a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab. The guy i got it from had a pioneer radio deck/head unit. He also had a

Memphis Belle 16-MCH 600 amplifier hooked up. Everything has power and he said when it does come on its amazing. So I trust him, he being a military vet. He said one day is grandson was in the truck pressing buttons trying to turn it up and all of a sudden it quit working.

So....

I told him i would try and fix it. When i turn the truck on, everything has power: the headunit (pioneer deh p3500 super tuner III D), speakers, amp, sub w. everything. I just have no sound. The odd thing is you can hear the custom speakers on the side panel of my doors giving a constant thumping, like a heartbeat. I don't know if the no sound and the thumping are two different issues or not. Although when i turn my radio all the way up, you can hear the music cutting in and out at a constant rate, with about a one second spacing in between each cut in and out. And its pretty quiet too. When i look at the back of my amp i can see the power like flickering with the thump of the speakers. I thought it was my ground, but i've messed with it and it doesn't seem to help. I'm convinced it is a problem with the amp since the stereo is showing perfect signal. Here is a picture of the back of my amp.

View attachment 26533484

ANY help would be amazing. I am new to car stereo systems so i dont know much. Layman's terms please

easy test - go get a headphone jack to RCA cable from radio shack. Plug it into your smartphone/ipod/iwhatever and turn the volume down low. plug the rca cables into the amp. if you turn up the iwhatever and hear audio, then your amp is ok and the head unit is suspect.

I will try and give as many details as possible.
I just recently purchased a 2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Extended Cab. The guy i got it from had a pioneer radio deck/head unit. He also had a

Memphis Belle 16-MCH 600 amplifier hooked up. Everything has power and he said when it does come on its amazing. So I trust him, he being a military vet. He said one day is grandson was in the truck pressing buttons trying to turn it up and all of a sudden it quit working.

So....

I told him i would try and fix it. When i turn the truck on, everything has power: the headunit (pioneer deh p3500 super tuner III D), speakers, amp, sub w. everything. I just have no sound. The odd thing is you can hear the custom speakers on the side panel of my doors giving a constant thumping, like a heartbeat. I don't know if the no sound and the thumping are two different issues or not. Although when i turn my radio all the way up, you can hear the music cutting in and out at a constant rate, with about a one second spacing in between each cut in and out. And its pretty quiet too. When i look at the back of my amp i can see the power like flickering with the thump of the speakers. I thought it was my ground, but i've messed with it and it doesn't seem to help. I'm convinced it is a problem with the amp since the stereo is showing perfect signal. Here is a picture of the back of my amp.

View attachment 26533484

ANY help would be amazing. I am new to car stereo systems so i dont know much. Layman's terms please
that sounds like leaking caps, either the radio or amp has some bad caps, the the thump noise is from the power releasing from the cap after build up.

easy test - go get a headphone jack to RCA cable from radio shack. Plug it into your smartphone/ipod/iwhatever and turn the volume down low. plug the rca cables into the amp. if you turn up the iwhatever and hear audio, then your amp is ok and the head unit is suspect.
Thanks man this helped me out, wonder why I never thought of this before. I made a thread and I had this problem my sub was working fine then all of a sudden you cant hear it. I just tested it out and my sub works! Most likely my LOC is bad.

GL OP try it out, as he mention take the RCA thats plugged into the amp and take the other end straight into your ipod/iphone and try playing music.

that sounds like leaking caps, either the radio or amp has some bad caps, the the thump noise is from the power releasing from the cap after build up.
i dont know what caps are lol. keep in mind i didnt install anything. so i wouldnt know either way.

Thanks man this helped me out, wonder why I never thought of this before. I made a thread and I had this problem my sub was working fine then all of a sudden you cant hear it. I just tested it out and my sub works! Most likely my LOC is bad.
GL OP try it out, as he mention take the RCA thats plugged into the amp and take the other end straight into your ipod/iphone and try playing music.
What is LOC and GL and OP??

your amps fried id say, if you get absolutely nothing with that test theres something wrong internally i dont know what for sure though. do you have another amp to test it on?

your amps fried id say, if you get absolutely nothing with that test theres something wrong internally i dont know what for sure though. do you have another amp to test it on?
No not now. And the speakers are still thumping tho. But if it is fried and i have to get a new one, what ones are alike or in that same price range? I dont know how much that current amp cost because its old and discontinued. It is a memphis belle 16 mch600. Can you guys give me like a list of amps that range from entry to competition? I want a middle grade amp....i have a sub woofer too.

And if it was fried, wouldnt it not come on at all? Cuz mine does come on

do you want to run the subs and speakers off one amp? or run the speakers off headunit and use mono block amp for subs? or use 4 channel amp for mids/ highs and then a mono for subs? really depends on your budget. but i never liked the idea of having my mids/highs on the same amp my subs on

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.