ported or...

A ported box is almost always louder than a sealed box. But a sealed box is able to get lower notes than a ported box, and tends to be cleaner, while loosing SPL, which looses the amount of amplitude.

brad.farmer

Originally posted by brad.farmer A ported box is almost always louder than a sealed box. But a sealed box is able to get lower notes than a ported box, and tends to be cleaner, while loosing SPL, which looses the amount of amplitude.

brad.farmer
I've never heard a sealed box get lower than a ported one, all things being equal.

A sealed enclosure will be the smallest (for a given response shape) and will have good low frequency extension but may not have the best low frequency extension. If space is limited, this may be your best choice.
A ported enclosure will generally have a better low frequency extension for a given response shape (alignment) but would require a larger enclosure. If you made the enclosure as small as the sealed enclosure but ported it to gain the low frequency response, the output would deviate from the desired flat response.
http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spboxnew2.htm

Originally posted by brad.farmer THIS IS CONVERSATION. NOT DUE TO ORIGINAL TOPIC.

Which subs were you listening to, sir. Because it might have just been the sub.

brad.farmer
Sub was an 10" HE2. Sealed box it was loud, but in the ported one it got so deep you could feel it in your chest. It hit the lower notes alot better. Same amp, same car, same song.

That's a Rockford, right? Yeah, you probably couldn't tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, they sound pretty good. But, they're made for serious SPL. Therefore, you might not have been able to tell. They may get low, but mostly they are made for SPL.

brad.farmer

Originally posted by brad.farmer That's a Rockford, right? Yeah, you probably couldn't tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, they sound pretty good. But, they're made for serious SPL. Therefore, you might not have been able to tell. They may get low, but mostly they are made for SPL.

brad.farmer
You ignored this:

A sealed enclosure will be the smallest (for a given response shape) and will have good low frequency extension but may not have the best low frequency extension. If space is limited, this may be your best choice.
A ported enclosure will generally have a better low frequency extension for a given response shape (alignment) but would require a larger enclosure. If you made the enclosure as small as the sealed enclosure but ported it to gain the low frequency response, the output would deviate from the desired flat response.

Care to comment, Brad? Because this is the truth^^^

Originally posted by brad.farmer That's a Rockford, right? Yeah, you probably couldn't tell the difference. Don't get me wrong, they sound pretty good. But, they're made for serious SPL. Therefore, you might not have been able to tell. They may get low, but mostly they are made for SPL.

brad.farmer
ignorance is bliss.. but in brad's case it's just annoying.

brad.farmer
OK, just totally ignore what i said and tell me what i heard. It's not like i listened to both systems and knew there is a difference or anything. *******. Get your **** straight and stop trying to correct people when you are obviously wrong. I heard both enclosures in the EXACT same setup and could very easily tell a difference. If you couldn't you must be deaf.

"ported=louder

sealed=tighter more accurate bass

bandpass=crap"

The truth is if you have the right setup and if you know wht you are doing they will all sound good even bandpass. I have 2 10's in a bandpass and they sound great, not too loud but loud enough and they give me great tight bass. so it all depends on how you set things up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.