port through rear deck? or no?

Calenatar

Mar 15, 2014
west ohio
So I have a 96 impala SS, in the trunk I have a 5 cu ft ported 32hz box firing towards the rear of the car. has 2 sundown zv5's hooked to an 4k bassclef. Flexes quarter panels, rear seat, and deck very hard. trunk is sealed ish, off from the cabin. I have my rear wheel well mouldings deleted and filled smooth, worried about cracking them and the paint. So far its been pretty good, but it is a concern. Have the gain all the way down for now. can I port the rear deck tray so that air can flow through the cabin, and theoretically not make so much trunk pressure? am I just dreaming that that would help? Would it effect sound? there's enough room in the rear tray to put some pretty good sized ports.... but this is a subject I know little about when it comes to box/cabin relations etc. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Last edited:

Gunk

CarAudio.com Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2019
Ohio
I'm interested to hear what the pros say on this as well. I've been wondering about building an enclosure where the port travels directly to rear deck for venting.

Popwarhomie

Team Lethal Pressure
Jan 22, 2010
Florida
Yeah the only experience I had with sealed off trunks (crown vic) is building a 4th order and porting it through the deck. Never done a standard ported box with port though the deck since the subs are still firing into the trunk.

shredder2

Oldmang
Nov 19, 2017
Az
Local guy had a 4th with 2 Zv5 12's on a BC 5500 in a similar setup like you want. 145db and change on music iirc. DJ 4th. I never saw where it was ported into the cabin but I'm assuming it was (ski hole... i asked). In a Lexus IS 300 I think... I will follow up and ask him... I'm curious now.
I wouldn't port thru the deck personally unless your box was facing into the cabin trunkwalled and at that point I'd just use the same box anyways.
Do the seats fold down?

Last edited:
OP
Calenatar

Calenatar

Mar 15, 2014
west ohio
Local guy had a 4th with 2 Zv5 12's on a BC 5500 in a similar setup like you want. 145db and change on music iirc. DJ 4th. I never saw where it was ported into the cabin but I'm assuming it was (ski hole... i asked). In a Lexus IS 300 I think... I will follow up and ask him... I'm curious now.
I wouldn't port thru the deck personally unless your box was facing into the cabin trunkwalled and at that point I'd just use the same box anyways.
Do the seats fold down?
no, the seats are fixed. the armrest folds down in the center, and behind that is space to create an opening as well. was thinking about putting in 2 big ports in the deck just to simply bleed off pressure from the trunk, but if that wont work like I'm thinking then i'd rather not cut holes in my rear deck lol

shredder2

Oldmang
Nov 19, 2017
Az
no, the seats are fixed. the armrest folds down in the center, and behind that is space to create an opening as well. was thinking about putting in 2 big ports in the deck just to simply bleed off pressure from the trunk, but if that wont work like I'm thinking then i'd rather not cut holes in my rear deck lol
I'm not for sure but I'm thinking that car has 6x9 on the rear deck, Why not remove those 1st to see instead of cutting?

OP
Calenatar

Calenatar

Mar 15, 2014
west ohio
I'm not for sure but I'm thinking that car has 6x9 on the rear deck, Why not remove those 1st to see instead of cutting?
probably a better idea, trying to avoid pulling the sub box as its god awful heavy, not 100% sure i can get to them from the cabin if i pull the rear seat. will have to check

blazian87

CarAudio.com Elite
10+ year member
Mar 12, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I came across the same exact situation before in my previous setup. I sealed up my trunk really good and even added weight to my plastic rear deck. There was so much pressure in the trunk that I felt like I needed to let all the air into the cabin. So I tried removing the 6x9 speakers completely and stuffed a bunch of acoustical foam in between for the rattling. It only got slightly louder but not even to make a difference really. Mostly because the rear deck panel was buzzing so much from the vibrations, I was losing so much decibels. When I bring down the seats, it made more of a difference. I would've done a proper wall build if I hadn't already placed my amp rack there. The right way to do it is to remove the rear panel and cut a giant hole and fabricate a big opening like a huge rectangle port. If done right, it will make a huge difference. Otherwise a 4th order is also a good idea.

Here's an example of a proper rear deck port.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Trending topics

Latest classifieds