Port question

Participant count
  • Participant list

R/T Pimp
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I am buildng a box right now for 2 12's. Subs up and centered in the box and port back in the middle of the box. This is going in a SUV with about 8000 watts rms. But before I finish the box I am wondering about the port. The box is a 2 chamber design but instead of running 2 separate ports has anyone combined the ports say half way. So essentially you have two ports but when looking at the box it looks like one unless you look into the port and then you can see the 2 separated ports inside the box. Hope that makes sense. What I am trying to do is gain the control of a 2 chamber box so I do not have to worry about cancellation and backwave control but have some of the benefits of a single chamber single port box. How would I tune a box like this? Does it work? The vehicle is used for daily groundpounding, competing and just listening to musically. I know I am asking for the perfect box, but I just looking for input on something like this.

i built a box like that for my gf car. all you do is calculate it as 2 seperate boxes, w/o one side. red line is the imaginary wall. there has to be a wall where the 2 ports fire towards each other. most people will run the single board all the way out the port. for safety, if you lose a sub you've got the other in "its own box" and also for ease, if not you have to widen the port a little where the partial wall is.

ps. 8000 watts rms huh???what amps?stock electrical system?

Thank you makes sense. For 8000 watts we have 2 soundstream xxx6500's, for the electrical we have an H.O. alternator, big 3, 3 runs of power cable, 4 battcap 2000's in the rear and an Interstate MegaTron under the hood, drops down to about 12.4 volts from 14.6. On a 12 volt system they do about 9000 rms strapped on a 16 they do about 14000 rms. When competing we and an 8d battery to the mix.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.