Port dimension explanation,plz look

Participant count
  • Participant list

HellyHans
10+ year member

Montreal
Ok, I'am confused on how my port is suppose to look as this is written with my sub specs..Maybe someone can help me out.

and i quote for my 10''

"Vent area (dimensions) 11"sq (11"x1")

Vent length 22'' "end quote

Now this is where iam confused... I know my vent is going to be 11" wide and 1" high

Now what confuses my is the 22"

.... Is it 11" deep AND 11" high also? making it look like a big "L" in the box.

Or just 11" wide by 11" deep?

What confused me is that I looked at the specs for the bigger subs that my 10" and I'am doubting the fact that the vent length equals the width+length

15" specs:

"Vent area (dimensions) 22.5"sq (15"x1.5")

Vent length 27'' "end quote

Thank you

Common sense???

First off 11 x 1 is going to create way to much port noise. So throw those dimensions out the window.

Second. 11" high and 1" wide is just that. A rectangle 11" x 1". Then the port is 22" long. Do you know how to think 3 dimensional?

The port remains a constant 11" x 1" all the way down the port until 22" is reached.

But as I said, port noise. Try to keep at least a 1:8 ratio.

If you still can't figure this out you may want to just have some one build you the box. There are so many things one can screw up on.

well how can it be 22" long when they recommend the box dimensions to be

12.5x14.5x17.25 ??

How am i going to fit a port that has 22" in a 17.25"deep box?

Thats why I was thinking that it has 11" of depth and turns another 11"

Making an L shape

I just had some extra wood laying around and wanted to build the ported box as per the recommendations of the manufacturer

well how can it be 22" long when they recommend the box dimensions to be12.5x14.5x17.25 ??

How am i going to fit a port that has 22" in a 17.25"deep box?

Thats why I was thinking that it has 11" of depth and turns another 11"

Making an L shape

I just had some extra wood laying around and wanted to build the ported box as per the recommendations of the manufacturer
Even with the manufacturers dimensions, It seems you're going to need a box builder for this one.

Has this forum become a money making forum and nobody wants to help anybody anymore... It's easier to just say.. pay me and I'll make you one?When you started making boxes, did you automatically know how to do everything? I'am sure not and you asked questions.If you wouldv'e got answers like yours saying.. just get someone to mke you one.. you wouldnt be here right now with the knowledge you've learned.

All I was asking for was a little help,I don't think the answer was that complicated to say, just go get it made... I don't mind making mistakes and learning from them

Bend the port as an L. The width should remain constant all 22". Measure down the center of the port for the length. Make sure to calculate port end correction if using a wall of the enclosure as a wall of the port. Like a slot port. Make sure to calculate port displacement and speaker displacement. Tune the enclosure using the Net volume. Net volume is the volume of the box not including the driver and port.

Those are the basics.

Use this calculator for port dimensions.

http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

To teach you how to fully design and build a ported box would take an extensive amount of time. You can't just throw some numbers together and expect them to sound good. If you are serious about learning speaker enclosure design. I suggest you start by purchasing a book, and searching online.

tRiGgEr

Has this forum become a money making forum and nobody wants to help anybody anymore... It's easier to just say.. pay me and I'll make you one?When you started making boxes, did you automatically know how to do everything? I'am sure not and you asked questions.If you wouldv'e got answers like yours saying.. just get someone to mke you one.. you wouldnt be here right now with the knowledge you've learned.All I was asking for was a little help,I don't think the answer was that complicated to say, just go get it made... I don't mind making mistakes and learning from them
No one is pulling a fast one on you, keep that in mind //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

You have a long ways to go before you should start constructing your own box. Not because you are dumb or anything, but only inexperienced. Inexperience = mistakes which eventually will lead to frustration. To have a model of what you should be doing, purchasing an enclosure would be ideal.

And yes, everyone and his brother does box designs and builds enclosures. It's sickening.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.