Pontiac Monsoon HU and Amp.

Participant count
  • Participant list

PKFiero

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all! Newbie here....

Hoping I can get some clarification on a planned 'upgrade' of my sound system for an 86 Fiero (yes, you read that correctly!!! Lol).

I have a Stock Monsoon Head unit and Amp from a donor Pontiac that I'm installing into the Fiero.

Now, the Fiero originally has 2 front 4x10 2-way speakers, and 2 rear/side 4x6 2-way speakers (all rated at 4ohms each). Total of 4 speakers, but I'm planning on adding one 8" subwoofer to help give a little more bottom end.

The Monsoon is wired as so:

From the head unit, the speaker connections go into the Monsoon Amp as inputs (2 front R&L, 2 Rear R&L). Simple enough...

The output speakers are then split up internally (built in crossover) and come out as (each with + and - ):

Right Front tweeter
Left front tweeter
Right front mid-range
Left front mid-range

Right Rear tweeter
Left Rear tweeter
Right Rear Subwoofer
Left Rear Subwoofer

For a total of 8 channels.

In the donor car, the stock setup was either each separate component or speakers with dual inputs.

How can I hook up these 8 channels to my 4 speakers and Subwoofer?

My thoughts were I could do it this way:

Combine the Right front tweeter and Right Front Midrange together and pass both signals to ONE Right side speaker (since it is two way) directly from the Amp (of course, keeping the polarity correct + to + and - to - )

Same with Left front side....

Then, do the same for the dual rear inputs... right Rear woofer and right rear tweeter..... etc...

But what do I do to get the Subwoofer ? My thought was that I needed to get a crossover for each subwoofer output (Right and left) first, then combine it out to the speakers....

So I guess my real question is, can I take two outputs (tweeter and mid-range) and pass them on to one Speaker?

I see lots of articles on hooking up 8 speakers to a 4 channel amp, but I want to do the opposite, 4 speakers to 8 channels....

Any help would be appreciated!!

Cheers,

PK

I should mention as well that the donor HU and amp are circa 2000-2004 Monsoon systems...
I wanted this system to keep it looking relatively 'stock' to the Pontiac Fiero, but with at least a CD player....

Any help would be appreciated!!
On most two way speakers, you can see the wires that go to the tweeters from the spade terminals. You can snip those wires off and lengthen the wires to connect them to the tweeter output of the amp. Another option is to connect those two way to the midrange output, then use some aftermarket tweeters.
As for wiring a sub into the Monsoon amp, I would forgo the rear midrange speakers and wire a low power sub in their stead. Doing differently may cause the amplifier to burn out.

Thanks for the input 1Aespinoza! Good point about separating the tweeters from the two way. Didn't think of that.
I'm thinking the 'Subwoofer' output is really Mid/Sub frequencies....on stock vehicles it went to rear deck 6x9's, I'm thinking if I put a passive Xover on the speaker outputs on that channel and seperate the low/mid bands to a woofer/2 way respectively it should be alright for the amp...
Doing a test tomorrow...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...