Polk vs JL Audio vs Focal?

Not meaning to jump on this thread...

I've also been recommended to get focals by a local shop... but then i've also heard that focals are too "bright" and that it's difficult to listen to for extended periods of time... any truth to that?

Got the Focal 165KR installed, and they sound AWESOME!! The tweeters are currently at -3dB (they can down to -6 if required) and they sound great to me. Very clear and not harsh at all - to me at least! I wound not hesitate to get these again!

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Now to decide if this will suffice me or do I need a sub, perhaps later down the line //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Any suggestions as to what go well with the Focals?

if you can get those jl c5 comps that cheap i would probably go with those. if not get the focals. but with all 3 choices you cant really go wrong.

i actually liked the jl c5 comps over the jl zr comps too if that helps?

but keep in mind sq to somebodies ear will vary from person to person, some like a shiny tweeter while others it will sound really harsh to. i personally dont like them bright

Most people don't understand how to use thier eq's or understand the loudness curve of the human ear. At high SPL levels you have to turn down the highs to compensate for our hearing curve.

Every time I've had somebody tell me thier tweeters are too bright/harsh I dialed thru thier eq settings and found they had the highs jacked up. I then have to explain to them, at low volumes you turn up the highs and at high volumes you have to turn down the highs.

Turning the highs down is easy. But you can never add in clarity that wasn't their to begin with.

I too am a new K2P owner. I will let you know how I like then also. I should have my amp late this week but the car is getting some tranny repair right now. It will be a few weeks as I have more deadening to do. The dc level 4 10" will be here mid next week too...

Thanks for this info - I am discovering this first-hand with the Focals. At 'normal' and little higher volumes, I keep my treble at +1 or +2 and they sound good. When I go loud, I find setting treble to 0 balances the highs without being harsh.

Most people don't understand how to use thier eq's or understand the loudness curve of the human ear. At high SPL levels you have to turn down the highs to compensate for our hearing curve.
Every time I've had somebody tell me thier tweeters are too bright/harsh I dialed thru thier eq settings and found they had the highs jacked up. I then have to explain to them, at low volumes you turn up the highs and at high volumes you have to turn down the highs.

Turning the highs down is easy. But you can never add in clarity that wasn't their to begin with.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.