Polk SR6500 review

i think they are....wonder how they sound of axis....
Relative to the driver's seat, the left tweeter sits ~60* off-axis and the right tweeter is ~30* off-axis. As such, the sonic virtues/pitfalls that I described in the review were gathered with both tweeters off-axis, albeit to a varying degree.

the tweets look like vifa xt variants.
I think you're right. IIRC, Polk uses a 22mm version. It would be interesting to see how the more commonly available 25mm version compares sonically to the 22mm XT.

Very nice review.

This makes me really wanna go out to my truck and start fooling around with the tuning a bit. I believe currently my crossovers are setup at the same points you had initially, so I wanna try bumping up the tweeters and rolling the mids off a little smoother like you did.

If you don't mind what does the gear in the install entail and could you give a general description of the install? Looks like you mentioned a 9887 HU, are the doors deadened and sealed, were the mids installed in the doors or in kicks and such.

The tweeters definitely do like to be mostly on axis, I believe within 15-20° they seem to loose a bit of detail in the upper region when placed off axis, still sound wonderful with the relatively lower frequencies but a hint of just something missing. Least this is what I found when experimenting with them.

Thanks again, definitely a big fan of the SR6500's specially active

Very nice review. This makes me really wanna go out to my truck and start fooling around with the tuning a bit. I believe currently my crossovers are setup at the same points you had initially, so I wanna try bumping up the tweeters and rolling the mids off a little smoother like you did.
It's worth a shot. When I originally tuned the system, I played with a variety of crossover points and kept notes on each one. Going back for a retune, I reviewed the notes and started working with alternate permutations, eventually arriving at the present config.

I also find that walking away from tuning helps. I know from experience that my ears lose their acuity after ~1/2 hour of concentrated listening. If I'm tuning, say, the EQ, and I make more than 2-3 changes in that time period, I shut off the system and come back later.

If you don't mind what does the gear in the install entail and could you give a general description of the install? Looks like you mentioned a 9887 HU, are the doors deadened and sealed, were the mids installed in the doors or in kicks and such.
HU - Alpine 9887

Tweeter amp - ARC Mini (to be replaced with a Zapco 200.2 later this week)

Mid amp- Zapco AG350

Sub - Blaupunkt PCwb1200 in 1.5ft3 ported (this thing is sensitive enough to drive with a hair dryer)

Sub amp - PG Xenon X400.1

Car - Evo IX SE

The mids are mounted in the factory locations low in the doors. The doors are deadened and sealed with RAAMmat. Due to the Polks' prodigious low-end dynamics, I still need to address an audible vibration in the door cards that manifests itself at ~80Hz.

The tweeters are installed low in the A-pillars. As the tweeters' frequency response noticeably varies with positioning, I tried to aim them symmetrically. Meaning, both are off-axis to the listener.

Due to the nature of the car, weight was and still is a major consideration: the sub and its enclosure weigh a total of 33lbs, the amp racks are made from Baltic Birch to save weight...well...you get the picture.

The tweeters definitely do like to be mostly on axis, I believe within 15-20° they seem to loose a bit of detail in the upper region when placed off axis, still sound wonderful with the relatively lower frequencies but a hint of just something missing. Least this is what I found when experimenting with them.
I found that having the tweeters on/off axis was mostly a matter of amplitude. The musical information remained; it was just projected at a lower relative volume. This said, I usually aim high-rez (home) speakers directly at the listener's ears and gain a greater sense of focus.

Thanks again, definitely a big fan of the SR6500's specially active
Any time. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It's an XT25 based RR tweet. Never liked it unless it was right on axis...even 15* lost considerable performance due to the dispersion pattern. To me, these tweeters are more like lasers vs a conventional compact dome which are more like flood lights.

Lots of good test results and info on this set in the CA&E magazine review.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.