plexiglass???

Nope. If the plexi is properly sized it won't cause any problems at all. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I think what you're refering to is a "bandpass box". It's kinda hard to explain how they work, but i'll give it a shot.

Speakers in general are basically just a modified electro-magnetic air pump that moves air at certain frequencies that are delivered from your source unit and magnified by your amplifier. You don't hear the sound directly from the cone of the speaker, but rather from the air around it that it moves. When dealing with subwoofers, you have a very narrow gap of sound that they actually reproduce (most subs are good between 20-120hz, whereas midrange and coax speakers can reproduce a broader range usually from around 60hz to 12khz, and higher depending on the driver). The bandpass boxes are tuned to a peak (get louder) somewhere in the 20-120hz range via tubes or slots formed into the box. (the length and diameter of the port have an effect on where the peak is) So, in a general sense, what you're hearing isn't the subwoofer's cone, it's the air moving through the ports.

You can make a bandpass out of just MDF, but a lot of people use plexi so you can actually see the woofers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.