please school me on modern rebuild sources and id's

Participant count
  • Participant list

akheathen
Premium Member

trianoacitol contraceptiv
i've been searching for a while on re-coning, repairs, motors, baskets, etc......... i used to do a lot of repairs years back, from soft-parts, to cone-swaps, re-winding, etc, and just now getting back into the hobby/scene. to give you a clue about when i was last really active, it was somewhere between when the crossfire bmf xt was pretty new, and the matts juggernaut had just came out. the only way to really get any thing new was to have an authorized retailer/installer order a re-cone from the manufacturer......... i.e. i couldn't just order a re-cone from crossfire. i guess what i'm asking is, how do you identify which motor, basket, cone, coil, etc..... i see a lot of references to names that are kinda foreign to me. also, what is available, and where to get them......... man, i feel like a total newb, haha, but any help would be greatly apreciated. i would understand if you don't want to openly post certain sources, but you could pm me on them. it might be nice to post at least the id-ing info for everyone at least.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/thumbcool.gif.25d3f515a7f948dd6be51428263071ef.gif

thank you

-Heath H-

both motors and soft parts have came along wayz sence those days.

i build custom subs per order, i dont do drop in's.

ask away what u curious about?

You can buy recone parts from a few different members here, myself included. In many cases its best to send your drivers out to someone who knows what they are doing, unless you can order a so called 'drop in kit' that is made for your specific sub..

In some cases recones may also be available on ebay or from local dealers, such as for some RF subs, ect..

You can buy recone parts from a few different members here, myself included. In many cases its best to send your drivers out to someone who knows what they are doing, unless you can order a so called 'drop in kit' that is made for your specific sub..
In some cases recones may also be available on ebay or from local dealers, such as for some RF subs, ect..
um, no, it's not best to send my drivers to "someone who knows what they are doing" like i said, i have plenty of experience rebuilding drivers since 96-97..... in fact, i did my first top-plate re-alignment at 16. only thing i wouldn't do myself is tear a motor down. besides, shipping **** to and from alaska is kind of too much. drop-ins are pretty much a last resort for me. i know i can get hx2 re-cones all day long on ebay and such, but i personally don't like a factory rockford, i have a power hx2-12 that just needs a coil (soft-parts are still mint after cone removal) so, on that one, can i get just a coil, or does it just come coil/former assy. i also have a couple he15's...don't remember if i even have the cones, but i'm sure the former/coils are shot. what are the options for parts upgrade? another q- about the baskets, are they just standard 4-spoke/12 spoke/stamped, or are they different modles with different specs?.....aside from the manufacturer specific, like alpine, kicker, rf, etc... how do you recognize the names of different motors? it here things like tc-3, tc-2, etc....... what different surrounds and spyders can you get, like high-roll, double roll, fattie? acordian? tinsels (i've been using r/c motor wire for tinsel leads with good success, but it just isn't right) are there special crimp connectors for the voice coil wires you cannot solder?

oh, i just remembered. can you explain the copper/aluminum spacers/rings in the motor? is it to interrupt the magnetic field?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.