Please prove me right to a co-worker

ravens9322
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
I have a Pheniox Gold Titanium Elite 12" that will be hooked up to a Hifonics bx1605 at 1.5 ohms which will be like 1300 watts. I plan on putting this in a 2.5 Cuft Ported to 34hz In my 03 hyundai tiburon hatch.

He has a 12" Kicker CVX hooked up to a kicker 400.1 at 2 ohms and he has the sub in a 1.0 cuft sealed box in a chevy conversion van.

Which should sound cleaner, louder, more output, ect. ect.?

He claims his 400 watts on a CVX will Pwn my PG TI12d Elite with 1300 watts going to it.

Help me so i can show him.

i dunno i had a rockford fosgate 400X2 running 2 cerwin vega vega series subs in a 99 nissan maxima.

and my friend had 4 crossfire bmf's off a 81000d..

and my setup in the maxima was louder...

well seeing you both have the same cone area, you have a ported box which in theory would gain you 3 db's. for every doubling of your power in theory would get you 3 db's as well (in your case 4.5 db gain) this taking into no account the cars environments btw. but i being a hatch owner as well, i know the transfer function works well on our behalf. though many other variables are still out there, i see no reason why you wouldn't be louder.

theoretically
^^^and i am sure my spelling is probably ****ed up on that one lol
The amount of db's gained by porting is completely different for evey application. You can make to to where there is literally no gain(by tuning low and getting a nice, flat response). Or you can got 10+db's if you wanted(by tuning high with lots of port area). This is of course stated vaguely as well...

It really depends more on...

1) What box it ported to

2) The woofer itself

3) Box volume

4) Port size

5) Frequency being played

There are some other variables as well, but those 5 are a big chunk for determing how much you'll gain by going ported...

you want us to tell you who'll be louder? you guys work at the same place, meaning that both of your cars will be at the same place...

we are not there and we cannot hear your systems.

Maybe you guys should get your boss out and be the judge.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

I'm going to have to say the setup with proper power and a properly designed enclosure is going to get louder than an underpowered CVX in a prefab box. Sounds like common sense to me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

yes it will be interesting to see how it comes out for sure.

however "this taking into no account the cars environments btw" and "though many other variables are still out there" was mint to include what ryan said.

and also the pimpness to your ride adds 3 db's!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.