please..i need help finish on fiberglass

mdd99
10+ year member

hi .. i working on my panel right now and i like to ask two question

1)i want a good clear finishing look so what do i need to do...i've all post in the forum and i think is this.

first..bondo. second..sand with 40 grit then 80 grit...then used feather fill to spay to fill in the hole...then sand with 160 grit ....then used spray primer and then sand with 220 grit.. then prime again and sand with 400 grit. then prime again and sand with 400 grit again...then paint and sand with 800 grit and paint and sand with 1200 grit and then the last layer of paint without sanding.....please correct me if my step is incorrect....

2)i've read about wet sanding but i don't understand what it is or how to applied it...is it normal sand paper but u just wet them in water or is there actual sand paper that called wetsand.....

i'm gonna used spay can for all of it if it ok.....will i get a good shine look ...do i have to buff and wax them or anything and after how long do i have to wait to buff and wax them to get a good shine look...

wow. thats alot of sanding. generally the more you sand it the smoother it is. usually i do this...bondo. sand w/120 (repeat till smooth, sometimes it'll take 2-3 coats of bondo), prime and sand w/ 800, prime and sand w/ 800(yes i do this one twice, nothing worse than scratches in the bondo, they show through the paint:() paint color 3-4 coats, sand w/ 2000. if you go through the color, spray more color if not, spray clear. this step is important to the shine. rember there is a very fine line between having a nice wet look, and the clear running off of it. spray the clear nice and heavy...almost to much is just enough. you might want to practice this one first, as to learn where the fine line is at:) i wet sand every step.

the sandpaper on the back will say either dry or wet/dry. the later can be used for WET sanding. basicly just have a bucket of water w/ you when you do this and keep the surface very wet while sanding. what this does is the water running over the surface rinses the sanded off particles off the surface so they don't scratch. if you follow my steps you don't have to buff them or nothing. i use spray paint all the time, if you do a good job noone will ever know that its spray paint. i hope this helps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

wow. thats alot of sanding. generally the more you sand it the smoother it is. usually i do this...bondo. sand w/120 (repeat till smooth, sometimes it'll take 2-3 coats of bondo), prime and sand w/ 800, prime and sand w/ 800(yes i do this one twice, nothing worse than scratches in the bondo, they show through the paint:() paint color 3-4 coats, sand w/ 2000. if you go through the color, spray more color if not, spray clear. this step is important to the shine. rember there is a very fine line between having a nice wet look, and the clear running off of it. spray the clear nice and heavy...almost to much is just enough. you might want to practice this one first, as to learn where the fine line is at:) i wet sand every step.the sandpaper on the back will say either dry or wet/dry. the later can be used for WET sanding. basicly just have a bucket of water w/ you when you do this and keep the surface very wet while sanding. what this does is the water running over the surface rinses the sanded off particles off the surface so they don't scratch. if you follow my steps you don't have to buff them or nothing. i use spray paint all the time, if you do a good job noone will ever know that its spray paint. i hope this helps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

it helped me. i just finished my new box and i was wondering how to get a nice finish because i have only done carpet on boxes before. Thanks a lot.

thank you for your reply ...it help alot...i was wondering...where do u buy the wet/dry sandpaper....do they have it at home depot..lowes..pep boy..krazen...or any local story...

hi .. i working on my panel right now and i like to ask two question1)i want a good clear finishing look so what do i need to do...i've all post in the forum and i think is this.

first..bondo. second..sand with 40 grit then 80 grit...then used feather fill to spay to fill in the hole...then sand with 160 grit ....then used spray primer and then sand with 220 grit.. then prime again and sand with 400 grit. then prime again and sand with 400 grit again...then paint and sand with 800 grit and paint and sand with 1200 grit and then the last layer of paint without sanding.....please correct me if my step is incorrect....

2)i've read about wet sanding but i don't understand what it is or how to applied it...is it normal sand paper but u just wet them in water or is there actual sand paper that called wetsand.....

i'm gonna used spay can for all of it if it ok.....will i get a good shine look ...do i have to buff and wax them or anything and after how long do i have to wait to buff and wax them to get a good shine look...

1-bondo

2-sand with 40 to shape, 80 to smooth a little

3-prime

4-sand with 180-220

5-prime

6-sand with 400 or 600

7-paint YES 400 grit is paintable scratches!!!

8-clear

9-wet sand 1500

10-buff

1-bondo2-sand with 40 to shape, 80 to smooth a little

3-prime

4-sand with 180-220

5-prime

6-sand with 400 or 600

7-paint YES 400 grit is paintable scratches!!!

8-clear

9-wet sand 1500

10-buff
mine turns out better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

mine turns out better //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

ill put all the money i have that if i took my time on it, u wouldnt be able to see a difference //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif i took auto body for a year and we did EVERY car this way and EVERY car shined like a mug with no scratches showing.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif i took auto body for a year
i worked in a body shop for 3 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

i worked in a body shop for 3 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

still no different really. the first year u learn, the rest u get experience and learn technicalities. but im not sayin your wrong, but i know my way works well, so buddy has 2 options now.

ok guy....one more question...after i sand with 60 grit..i started my first priming to seal the scratch and hole....i was wondering if this is the right primer...it is called krylon primer... it said it dries in 12 minutes or less and it primes.. seals..protects... is this the right one..do i have to sand on the last layer of priming before finishing.

oh man...so what can i do with the current primer that i have now...i already spray one layer on already and it didn't work...also..how how do i have to wait to sand after the 1st and 2rd layer of priming...

so when i guy talk about priming..u talk about the one that look like a paint can that used a brush to brush it.....if that is what u guys talk about..can u guy tip me some brand....woundn't the spray can work too...it also say priming seal...also,,i have alot of pretty big hole...i would like to cover it but dont know what...i read about the putty stuff ....but can you guy recomend me a brand or something...i went to home depot and the guy give me like a big can of fiberglass putty which i don'[t need that much....i[m still waiting for u guys reply so i can go to the next step...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.