please help pick SQL sub for shallow trunk

joeman
10+ year member

virginia
I just put down a deposit on a pair of Brahma 10" MK III's and then I read this today.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/cgi-bin/bbs/discus.pl

So the MK III has a 80% fail rate with no way to get them fixed when they break. I had thought this was the perfect sub for my application till I read that. So now I need to get my money back or buy something else from this dealer. He sells Stereo Integrity subs. I've never heard of them.

So anyway here's the specs of my application. Due to my very shallow trunk I have bought a precut 3/4 mdf box for an exact fit. The box is for 2 10's and it is only 7" deep. That's my hang up All the subs I want are more than 7" mounting depth.

I am looking for the baddest sub that will fit in this box. I plan to run around 600w RMS. My first priority is SQ... but I want something that gets really loud and draw some attention when I want it to. It has to hit super hard. My 2nd priority is toughness and quality. I want a sub that's indestructible and will last along time. Remember it HAS to be a 10 and less than 7" mounting depth. I think the box is around 1.5 cu ft and I will be stuffing it as well.

My first choice was the Brahmas until today.

Other subs I have considered and why they wont work:

OZ matrix Elite... seems good, need more info

Image Dynamics IDMax... Not enough SPL

Digital designs... probably need more airspace

JL 10Wv6... not enough mounting clearance for pole vent

RE XXX, Eclipse, JLW7, Treo TSX won't fit

elemental designs, SI mag, crystal comps, Stereo Integrity, Boston G5 ... don't know enough about them

I am willing to spend up to around $400-$700 for the pair. What sub will fit my application AND is superior to the Brahma in every way? Should I stick with the brahmas? The dealer says for $30 he will send me a pair of Stereo Integrity BM's instead... Are they better than the Brahmas?

IDMAX not enough spl??? Are you crazy tha thing is like 1000rms well the 10" Im pretty sure is. Def look into it and also try rl-i and rl-p by soundsplinter thats wha im lookin at gettin cuz the idmax was over kille for what i need

The OZ and the IDMax have similar output capabilities, I'm not sure about how they compare to the Brahmas, but the Brahmas should be slightly better. Adire recently came out with the Brahma MKIVs, and thats what your dealer should be sending you, NOT the MKIIIs. Supposedly the MKIVs had all the issues of the MKIIIs fixed plus a few small improvements.

The SI Mag is definately a safe bet and should perform as good if not better than all the other choices, however they are pricey. The SI BM on the other hand, shouldn't compare to the Brahma, especially for more money. Tell him to send you Brahma MKIVs!

For the record, both the IDMax and the Oz ME have great output capabilities especially if your main concern is SQ.

sorry. let me clarify the PREVIOUS gen Image Dynamics are not enough SPL. The New gen's wount fit in my 7" deep box. I'm not concerned so much with price...I am way more about quality. The perfect subs for this enclosure.

Problem is, I already paid for these Brahmas, but stopped shipment on them.The dealer wants to sell me a pair of Stereo Integrity BM's. W T F are those???? He claims they are better than the Brahmas. Unfortunately I may not have a choice since he already has my money. But I would still like to know what better choices are out there. I like to buy things ONCE and forget about it.

From everything I have researched, and I have been reading A LOT...The mk IV is not out yet and their release date is indefinate. Adire has gotten real shady since last year. They don't even repair subs anymore and they don't answer emails or return calls.

The SI Mag is definately a safe bet and should perform as good if not better than all the other choices, however they are pricey. The SI BM on the other hand, shouldn't compare to the Brahma, especially for more money. Tell him to send you Brahma MKIVs!

For the record, both the IDMax and the Oz ME have great output capabilities especially if your main concern is SQ.

The SI MAg only comes in 12 and 15. I need 2 10's that are less than 7" deep.

try the BMs, search about them.

You mean Stereo Integrity BM? That's what I wanted to know.. are they better than a MK III brahma? I am looking for reliability and quality sound + SPL >price

You mean Stereo Integrity BM? That's what I wanted to know.. are they better than a MK III brahma? I am looking for reliability and quality sound + SPL >price
Since you will be using a sealed box, I don't think you would be as happy with the BMs as you would with the Brahmas. From what I read, the BMs work better ported.

Worst comes to worse, go with the Oz or wait until more info comes up about the Brahmas. Also, I think you can get custom FI Q 10s that should do exactly what you want.

Since you will be using a sealed box, I don't think you would be as happy with the BMs as you would with the Brahmas. From what I read, the BMs work better ported.
Worst comes to worse, go with the Oz or wait until more info comes up about the Brahmas. Also, I think you can get custom FI Q 10s that should do exactly what you want.
Good point I did not mention yes I am using a sealed box. So are you suggesting I stick with the MK III's if my only choice is to do an exchange with this guy for BM's? The brahmas were cheap at $450 for the pair but now I am extremely worried about the reliability issue. I tried to google search for the FI Q... that's not specific enough info I just get "HI-fi" etc... I have never heard of that brand. Do you have a web address or some specs?

So are you suggesting I stick with the MK III's if I can only do an exchange with this guy? The brahmas were cheap at $450for the pair. I tried to google search for the FI Q... that's not specific enough info I just get "HI-fi" etc... I have never heard of that brand. Do you have a web address or some specs?
No, I wouldn't get the MKIIIs, I would wait a little while to see if Adire decides to release the Brahma 10 MKIVs. Make a post on their forum, bother Dan about it a little.

https://ssl.perfora.net/www.ficaraudio.com/sess/utn;jsessionid=15450f4795c60b4/shopdata/0020_Q/product_overview.shopscript

Check those Qs out for a new SQL sub thats been getting good reviews. Its a good alternative if you don't feel like waiting, but you'll have to get the 10s custom made for you. I believe I saw someone on this forum do it already.

I'm pretty much in the same situation for well over a year now. I cannot find a sub other than W3's that will fit in my truck.

I'm really not all that excited about putting W3's in my truck but a guy can only wait so long...I'm getting real tempted to just order them and be done with it.

I have been trying to get the new Adire 10" or 12" kodas for quite some time. But I can't even find a place that actualy sells them. I tried acoustic visions and they no longer return my emails..

I was trying to get some Arc Audio subs and that deal fell though as well. Only other sub that will fit is IDQ, but I'm not sure it will have enough output for me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.