Please help meeee..

Participant count
  • Participants list

Spazz131

CarAudio.com Recruit
Michigan
So I'm gonna be honest like I'm honest to my doctor. I've been having issues with my to alpine subs smelling. Not quite a burning coil, more like hot glue. They are 650 watts rms, and 4ohm. I have a cheap power acoustik rzr1-2500d, running at 1ohm.

I have tried many different gain configurations all of which do not cause (audible) distortion or clipping, im using the subsonic filter correctly, and do use bass boost pretty generously. I try and stay away from the HU bass boost.

On that topic I have a kenwood radio, not sure of the model. One of the DMX ones?

Lastly, I have a sealed(read bellow) underneath sub box with like .51 cubic inches in volume ( lmk if that sounds wrong. All this is from memory)
Now on the the crazy and stupid part. The box broke right down the middle. One of the subs is definitely not sealed. I have a new (nicer) box on the way that has like .61 cubic inches in volume.

And lastly on to my questions to get this going:

Is it the box?

Is it the cheap amp?

Under or overpowering?

Best way to measure and set gain?

Or if yall have other ideas please lmk...
Thx

If you have 2 4ohm subs then they are only running at 2 ohms
If they are dual voice coil 4ohm subs then that would put you at 1 ohm
That amp is only 2 ohm stable so if you are running at 1 ohm then that might be your problem
Is the smell right away, does it only come when things warm up a bit, does it only come in waves like say when the subs are working harder?
You need to post what model your subs are and maybe a picture of the crack in the box.
In any case if its making a smell like that then chances are something is wrong back there and you might want to refrain from powering everything up until you figure out what it is.
Could be the difference between salvaging the equipment or having to writ it off/send in to get fixed if possible.

If you have 2 4ohm subs then they are only running at 2 ohms
If they are dual voice coil 4ohm subs then that would put you at 1 ohm
That amp is only 2 ohm stable so if you are running at 1 ohm then that might be your problem
Is the smell right away, does it only come when things warm up a bit, does it only come in waves like say when the subs are working harder?
You need to post what model your subs are and maybe a picture of the crack in the box.
In any case if its making a smell like that then chances are something is wrong back there and you might want to refrain from powering everything up until you figure out what it is.
Could be the difference between salvaging the equipment or having to writ it off/send in to get fixed if possible.
Yeah definitely, I'm thinking of a new memphis amp, that is for sure 1ohm stable.(this one is said to be by a few sketch sources) the smell typically comes after its warmed up a bit. They are dvc. The model is S-W10D4. As for the crack it's right at the seem, ill try and get photos when I can

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.