Please help me pick out a new system

mysilver02alty
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Florida
Hey,

Haven't been on here in a while. I have no idea what products are good any more. Was wondering if you guys could give me some tips. I'm looking for:

1. Head unit(I like alpine) - Budget of 250.00

2. Awesome front components - Budget of 250.00

3. Amp for the components - Budget of 300.00

4. Two 10 inch subs that will work well in a small enclosure, take 5 - 600 watts rms nicely each, going in a Corvette hatch. Flexible budget depending on quality

5. Sub amp that can put out about 1000 - 1200 clean watts rms. budget of 350.00.

Total budget of like 1500 - 1800 not including installation and wiring. I have no idea what size speakers will fit in my car, lol. Probably gonna just get some 6.5 inch and make custom baffles up front for the components.

I like a clear sounding, system with nice highs, great mid range and decent bass. I don't need earth shattering bass, just something with nice bass.

Like i said, i don't know what's good anymore, haven't been active on this form in like 5 years. Can you guys point me in the right direction with 2 or 3 options for amps, subs, speakers and head units. New or used doesn't matter to me really.

lol, sundown still king???
Haha, people just like to hate on it cus they continue to put out solid products that are well received.

But I wouldn't really be looking to them for your goals. I'm guessing you'll be looking at a sealed enclosure? Might wanna consider some Dayton HO or HF Reference. I'd say that's a good place to start for the subs.

what was your old system like man?
Crystal sscs6 comps up front (LOVED THEM). Don't think they're made anymore.

Alpine 9813 I think, was pretty cool.

RE XXX 15, original one in big ported box

Bunch of different amps were hooked up to it.

Was loud but sounded sloppy from the trunk. Box was too big for trunk plus the sub just destroyed my rear deck and the rattling drove me crazy so i never played it.

I used to have a system i loved as far as bass. Was an orion 225hcca on 2 orion 10 inch xtr pro subs. From like 15 years ago. Subs caught fire after like 6 years. Never could get a system to sound that good again. Very crisp bass, clear, hit pretty hard, highs were decent.

Thanks for the suggestions. On the PDX-F4 with the SPX-17PRO, should it be bridged @ 4 ohms ? Does that increase distortion, bridging it?

The amps and comps do seem a bit pricey for what they put out though...

For the subs, check out the Dayton HF or HO series woofers. They don't need a huge box and sound nice and clean. As for an amp, look into the audioque 1200 or the DC1.2.

Thanks for the suggestions. On the PDX-F4 with the SPX-17PRO, should it be bridged @ 4 ohms ? Does that increase distortion, bridging it?The amps and comps do seem a bit pricey for what they put out though...
Just about anything from Alpine will be pricey. I'd look for an older used HU, specifically... your old 9813. That thing is a GEM! There's very few headunits available anymore that are even worth purchasing. They have the flashy features, but nothing to actually get good sound. There's only a couple units from each manufacturer that are worth considering. I wasn't impressed in the least with my Alpine speakers so I certainly couldn't recommend them. Maybe their Type X components are top-notch, but I'll strongly doubt they are worth the money. Again, their PDX amps are pretty pricey, and I've heard they're terribly inefficient, I'm not sure why he's listing a full Alpine system. As for bridging your amplifier, it's incredibly unlikely you'll detect any additional distortion in the least.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.