please help me out and don't laugh

dbolm666
10+ year member

hey whats up ya'll, i know this is a car audio forum and please don't laugh at my car, but i just got me a 88 toyota tercel, manual, i'm trying to hook it up, i was wondering i am thinking about putting some kind of muffler on it or a glass pack or something to kind of make it sound like a rice burner, i have seen it done before, but am wondering how or what should i use, i'm not trying to spend that much cash only because it's a 1988. i also got me a pioneer 4400 and a pair of pioneer 6x9 2-ways, but i'm more worried about the outter look of the car, what would you suggest a muffler? glass pack? cold air intake? the engine is only a 1.5 litter, ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

well you can do the norm. . .I/H/E but its pretty much useless. . . i have a Civic DX and i did I/H/E just cause i got them for dirst cheap but it was a waste of 350.00. ill have my GSR swap done soon though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

If you want to go faster, go downhill.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

cold air is good

eliminate the restrictive exhaust. Just run new piping cat back then a high flow muff.

header would be good too 4-2-1 is the least restrictive but more expensive. replace all the plugs and wires, that'll help. You could go as far as to upgrade the fuel pump, and injectors and advance the timing but that is a little bit risky IMO on an older car. You'll see a diff with the HP. In the exhaust you can even eliminate the cat but that's only if you dont have emissions tests...

Best thing to do..Is get a car made more for performance..I'm not much for supping up WHIMPY cars...Get American Muscle and you'll have no problems..Easier to fix them up too! I have a 1995 5.0....

Originally posted by JLAudioEXTREME Best thing to do..Is get a car made more for performance..I'm not much for supping up WHIMPY cars...Get American Muscle and you'll have no problems..Easier to fix them up too! I have a 1995 5.0....
Don't be such a dick and call this guys's car wimpy, it's probably all he could afford. And he said that he wanted to sound like a rice burner (I don't know why he would want to do that) so let him do what he wants. He wouldn't really sound like a rice burner if he had a muscle car now, would he?

I think perhaps the point is that you can dress up an economy car, but then all you have is a dressed up economy car. Put that money towards a future purchase of a nicer car. My first two cars were $500 and $200. Sometimes a car is just transportation; nothing wrong with that.

A nice sound system you can get (well, already have) now, and move it to a newer car in a year or two. That's not the case with cosmetic improvements to the car itself.

But if the cosmetic stuff makes you happy, that's worth a certain amount.

On the performance side, you might find that you're limited not only by the engine but by the suspension and wheels. My mother had a small Buick station wagon with a large V6. It went very fast in straight lines, but couldn't turn faster than parking lot speeds.

Anyway, my money would be on sound, keeping it clean, and saving up for your next car.

--Mike

Originally posted by JLAudioEXTREME Best thing to do..Is get a car made more for performance..I'm not much for supping up WHIMPY cars...Get American Muscle and you'll have no problems..Easier to fix them up too! I have a 1995 5.0....
Your just like your pal Rangerman //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:D Oh and also agree with you. Although a friend of mine made an 84 Tempo an 11 second car - go figure:rolleyes: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/banghead.gif.8606515f668c74f6de0281deb475b6fd.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Originally posted by Llamas Anyway, my money would be on sound, keeping it clean, and saving up for your next car.

--Mike
I have to agree with you there, but if this guy wants to sound like a rice burner, let him do it. He is the one who will regret it in the long run.

Hey, yall be easy on the kid. Let him figure out if he likes what he plans to do or not. If you didnt buy the car then dont tell him what or what not to do with, just give an opinion to his question!

And the fact is, its better to get a cheap car and learn how to play with performance parts, then to get an expensive import at tear it to shyt:furious:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.