Please Help - Best Install/Set-up with this equipment

Participant count
  • Participant list

ClassicComics

Essentially I thought I knew what I was basically doing when I ordered some equipment to add a little extra sound to my pontoon boat. When I was younger I use to mess with car stereos a little, and thought I had a good basic knowledge, but either I have forgotten a good bit, or I didn't know as much as I thought I did. Been reading around trying to figure the best way to hook this up.... Figured maybe someone could just tell me the best set-up... Or send me to a link, how to wire the following for best results:

Amp: pyleaudio.com/sku/PLMRA420/4-Channel-1000-Watt-Waterproof-Marine-Bridgeable-Mosfet-Amplifier

One Subwoofer: polkaudio.com/products/db1240dvc

Two 6.5" speakers: polkaudio.com/products/db651

I had originally chosen a 10" Polk sub, that maxed out at 500 watts, which probably would have been a better match to this amp.... but this is what I pulled the trigger on. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I was thinking of running two channels from the amp, one to each VC on the sub (which would give me a total max of 500 watts to the sub which has a 720 watts peak) and then one each of the other channels to each of the 6.5" speakers (max amp output of 250 watts per channel with speaker peak of 180 watts per speaker). But with this the sub would be underpowered and the 6.5" speakers overpowered, correct? I believe I can adjust the gain on the amp to reduce the load on the 6.5" speakers, but not sure I can do anything about under powering the sub? Any way to use three of the channels to power the DVC sub without screwing something up and then splitting the last channel between the 6.5" speakers?

Any and all suggestions and help would be appreciated!

well if you like replacing the system every years then use it ,other wise return it and get something better ,you can run the speakers off 2 channels and the sub off the other 2 bridged ,but the sub needs to be a single 4 ohm sub or dual 2 ohm

As I said... Not sure I know as much as I thought I did.... According to the Polk website, the sub Nominal Impedance = Dual 4 ohms.

Since its dual voice coil, can't I just wire one of each of the amps 250w outputs to one of each of the voice coils on the sub for a total output of 500w at the sub?

I know you guys don't like this amp, and know its not alpine (I have had alpine in different cars), but for $100 it comes with a one year warranty... I think I'll try it once. If it dies... It was a hundred bucks.

The amp specs say:

Power Rating:

250 Watts x 4 Maximum Output at 4 ohms

35 Watts x 4 RMS at 4 ohms

50 Watts x 4 RMS at 2 ohms

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:52 PM ----------

Also, I don't know if it matters, but there are already 4 x 6.5" speakers running off the head unit's internal amp. I have this: Tune Tray Car Stereo | Digital Media Receiver | DSX-S310BTX Review | Sony Store

The four 6.5" speakers are direct wired with speaker wire to the head unit. The unit also has RCA amp and sub connectors, was going to run those to the amp and then have a separate box with the two new 6.5" speakers and the one sub. Mounted under my sundeck. The sundeck is on hinges, so when I want to kick it at the beach or just want more volume, open the sundeck and there is the new stuff....

dont just connect left and right channel to each voice coil. music in stereo will cause the sub to burn up since left and right side of the music will be different. I would think about returning that stuff and maybe dropping a few more dollars on some quality gear that will be triple the output of what that is doing. check out

PUNCH Amplifiers - PBR300X4 - Rockford Fosgate®

as an amp option. super small footprint. power efficient and has a lot of power 75x4@4ohms rms

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.