Please help a Newbie

Participant count
  • Participant list

NCHornet
10+ year member

I have spent thousands of dollars on audio in different vehicles that I have owned. I have always used the same shop in Mount Airy, NC . The vehicle is a F350 crew cab dually. I have JL C5's in each door and in each sail panel behind the rear bench seat. Infinity 600 watt amp, JL Audio 8" sub in their enclosure and I just had them install the new Pioneer Z140BH head unit a couple weeks ago after I was having some issues with my JVC head unit. The dude that use to do all the installs for me no longer works there and I don't know how to contact him. One thing I hate is what I call a " tubby bass " sound. I know this is the rage with the young people, but the music I listen to doesn't sound like that. I was a solid hitting, crisp bass, not something that is going to shake the truck apart.I am very mechanical, but always left my audio needs to this shop. My JVC head unit sounded awesome, but the new Pioneer isn't close. I had the same issues when the JVC was first installed, but this installer dialed it in in no time. I have gone back to the shop who installed it three times now. The dude turned up the gains on the amp and said that was all that could be done. When I tried to explain the type of bass I expected he looked at me with that deer in headlights look. I knew it was pointless. Since he cranked the gains up the stereo is clipping ( I believe that is the correct term) really bad on certain songs at low volume levels.

I have no problems adjusting the EQ on the head unit but then I am lost. I have called and gone by the shop 4 times and left messages for the owner to call me and he has ignored me. That's it, I am done with this shop. I thought about going to a different shop in town but I am afraid of having the same issues. I am not expecting someone to tell me the exact setting on all the different variables, but I thought I might be able to learn how to adjust everything myself. Is this being realistic or do you need special equipment to do this right? I know it would be a shot in the dark, but if anyone knows a shop in the area that could help me I am all ears. Thanks in advance for the help.

NCHornet

Let me tell ya, I live in Dobson, NC and I do all my work with Sound Connection. If you're talking about Audio Video spot, I would surely recommend Sound Connection over them. Go there and ask for Mike. They're great and can hook you up. If you don't know where it is is on 89 right across the road from Los Potrillos. But they're closed on Mondays, so the best thing to do is go by during the week because I'm pretty sure they're closed Saturdays too. Mike is a good christian dude and is 100% honest about everything. Also, Keith, his installer, is a tremendous installer and builder. So good luck, if ya wanna, tell Mike Zeb sent ya //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I'm a regular around that store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.