Planning to reduce Road Noise and Noise in the cabing, I need some advice

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alrojoca
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I plan to use MLV the spec is 1Lb per square foot 1/8 thick.

First: Do I need CLD on my floors? at least 1sqf every 6-10 inches? I know the time it takes to put that stuff on and I am willing to avoid putting CLD on my floors not only for the time but also the cost, if I put a square separated by a few inches it will be easy and faster.

I know I could benefit from putting some MLV on my firewall, also the back wall of the truck or trunk, not really interested in doing the doors since they are fully Dynamatted, but if I benefit adding some CCF over the the CLD on the doors like I have seen some guys do, then I may do that, no glue, just Velcro. Thoughts?

If I do not need CLD on my floors, can I just place the CCF on the metal and lay the MLV?. I have seen at some stores some of those Yoga Mats, they are 1/8 thick and cheap it ends up being Like $0.60 per square foot, it is durable rubber/foam and not light in weight at all but I am not sure if it is closed cell foam and if it will do the job, nice colors too.

I am not planning on gluing since it will be on the floor, I could use velcro but no glue.

Any thoughts on my idea and answers to my questions. JUST SAW THAT TYPO CABING WHEN IT SHOULD BE CABIN

Thanks

I plan to use MLV the spec is 1Lb per square foot 1/8 thick.
First: Do I need CLD on my floors?
Depends on how your floor is made. If it has large flat areas that can resonate, then you'll need cld. If its real rigid with lots of contours, then you wont. MLV and ccf will do the sound blocking, cld will do the vibration damping.

but if I benefit adding some CCF over the the CLD on the doors like I have seen some guys do, then I may do that, no glue, just Velcro. Thoughts?
Add some ccf. Honestly, Id add MLV first, that material is way better for blocking road noise. But ccf will benefit you, especially if your doors are less than 100% covered by the cld.

If I do not need CLD on my floors, can I just place the CCF on the metal and lay the MLV?.
Yup

By the way, you posted in my other thread. I saw on amazon 100sq ft of MLV, 180 shipped. Also, Amazon and paypal have a 6 month, no interest deal gooing on for purchases over 100 dollars. 35/month for six months is better than coming off 200 bucks at one time to get my MLV to the house. Lol.

Where did you see those other places that were selling MLV?

Depends on how your floor is made. If it has large flat areas that can resonate, then you'll need cld. If its real rigid with lots of contours, then you wont. MLV and ccf will do the sound blocking, cld will do the vibration damping.

Add some ccf. Honestly, Id add MLV first, that material is way better for blocking road noise. But ccf will benefit you, especially if your doors are less than 100% covered by the cld.

Yup

By the way, you posted in my other thread. I saw on amazon 100sq ft of MLV, 180 shipped. Also, Amazon and paypal have a 6 month, no interest deal gooing on for purchases over 100 dollars. 35/month for six months is better than coming off 200 bucks at one time to get my MLV to the house. Lol.

Where did you see those other places that were selling MLV?

Thanks, I read that CCF is not a must item under MLV pretty much a substitute that can provide some cushion and some air in between the metal and the MLV.

I will send you a pm with the links for those 2 places, I would not know what the shipping cost will be. In my case one of them is just 10 min away driving.

I highly suggest using ccf under the mlv. the ccf is needed to decouple the mlv from the metal panel its laying on top of and without it you wont get the full effect. the ccf also helps lower panel resonance. Dont waste cld on your floor. There is already the weight of the seats and the passengers on the floor, adding the couple extra pounds of cld wont do anything.

I highly suggest using ccf under the mlv. the ccf is needed to decouple the mlv from the metal panel its laying on top of and without it you wont get the full effect. the ccf also helps lower panel resonance. Dont waste cld on your floor. There is already the weight of the seats and the passengers on the floor, adding the couple extra pounds of cld wont do anything.
I agree about the ccf. It needs to be decoupled. I imagine resonating MLV could cause rattling.

But as far as cld, I dont think its the weight that stops resonation, its the butyl that stops the transfer of vibration energy.

In my case one of them is just 10 min away driving.
You can get a deal in that case then. Dang.

Yup! good deal if I'm 10 min away no shipping just a bit of gas and sales tax :-(

To be clear: if I understand it correctly, on the doors, for the ones that put almost one layer of cld and want to reduce noise. Just add MLV over the CLD then CCF? Or CLD, CCF, MLV and CCF over the MlV?

Also for my truck's back wall, what do I do there? CCF, MLV and CCF? The wall is pretty solid and may not rattle with just MLV but midbass or bass may be more solid if I add CLD, would I need CLD? Only 300 watts now but it may 400w once I add 12 inch ported box, if I do CLD again what next? CCF, MLV AND CCF, or just CLD, MLV, then CCF for vertical areas?

I guess I have to do some reading but it would be nice to get a non bias opinion on vertical areas. doors http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/how-to/doors back wall http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/how-to/back-wall

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.