Boston Acoustics 12" G5 subwoof. Thoughts?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Santoro300
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Tampa, FL
My buddy at a local stereo shop said he's got 2 Boston Acoustic G5 12"s that he would sell to me for under cost. I was looking at the Sound Qubed Street Duty SDC2.5 and the Dayton Audio RSS315HO-4 12" Reference HO. What are ya'll thoughts?

The G5 and the Dayton are miles ahead of the Sound Qubed sub, at least in the areas of sound quality.

If you're just looking to get loud, though, there are better options than all of these.

Budget?

The G5 and the Dayton are miles ahead of the Sound Qubed sub, at least in the areas of sound quality.
If you're just looking to get loud, though, there are better options than all of these.

Budget?
200-300. Not looking to get loud. I mean I want good bass just want it to sound good and be able to hit the different levels.

200-300. Not looking to get loud. I mean I want good bass just want it to sound good and be able to hit the different levels.
Personally I would go Dayton or G5 for different reasons.

G5 is sought after and rare, great SQ and gets loud enough for me...but more than likely no warranty and won't be easy to replace if something goes wrong.

Dayton is solid, great SQ, more easily attained so not as sought after but still a great sub. Plus is u blow one u can easily get another one from parts express.

[/color]

Personally I would go Dayton or G5 for different reasons.
G5 is sought after and rare, great SQ and gets loud enough for me...but more than likely no warranty and won't be easy to replace if something goes wrong.

Dayton is solid, great SQ, more easily attained so not as sought after but still a great sub. Plus is u blow one u can easily get another one from parts express.
My last subwoofer was a FI Audio 15" Q. It got intensely loud which I liked, but at the same time I felt it had trouble hitting certain frequencies in the songs I listened to. I'll def ask him about the warranty on the G5's if I go that way. What do you think is a good price for the G5? Also do you think both these subs are good for mainly rap music? Also why is the Dayton so far ahead of the sound cubed sub?

My last subwoofer was a FI Audio 15" Q. It got intensely loud which I liked, but at the same time I felt it had trouble hitting certain frequencies in the songs I listened to. I'll def ask him about the warranty on the G5's if I go that way. What do you think is a good price for the G5? Also do you think both these subs are good for mainly rap music? 

---------- Post added at 12:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

My last subwoofer was a FI Audio 15" Q. It got intensely loud which I liked, but at the same time I felt it had trouble hitting certain frequencies in the songs I listened to. I'll def ask him about the warranty on the G5's if I go that way. What do you think is a good price for the G5? Also do you think both these subs are good for mainly rap music?
I have a boston gtr12 radiator i have been looking for a g5 for a while to match them up. you should hook me up with your buddy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.

The frequencies where due to the bog most likely who built it and what was it tuned 2

I have a boston gtr12 radiator i have been looking for a g5 for a while to match them up. you should hook me up with your buddy //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif.
The frequencies where due to the bog most likely who built it and what was it tuned 2
Unfortunately its the last 2 he has ;-(. Guy on here built my box. It was a ported box 47 sq inch port tuned to 35hz. No idea what you mean by bog. Lol

Unfortunately its the last 2 he has ;-(. Guy on here built my box. It was a ported box 47 sq inch port tuned to 35hz. No idea what you mean by bog. Lol
well if you decide not to get them im seriously interested in one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif but the box had more to do with the output than the sub //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif. I like my boxes tuned to 30-32hz

[/color] My last subwoofer was a FI Audio 15" Q. It got intensely loud which I liked, but at the same time I felt it had trouble hitting certain frequencies in the songs I listened to. I'll def ask him about the warranty on the G5's if I go that way. What do you think is a good price for the G5? Also do you think both these subs are good for mainly rap music? Also why is the Dayton so far ahead of the sound cubed sub?
I didn't care for my 18" Fi Q, but thats besides the point.

I wouldn't pay over 300 for the pair of G5s, personally as thats what I've seen them go for a few times on eBay so I know what I can get them for.

I listen to mainly rap music myself and in all honesty, any sub that sounds nice on other genres of music will also do well on rap. Just be sure to have the right box tuning.

The Dayton sub is a diamond in the rough. I think the price of it misleads people a lot. You need to spend over double the price to beat it SQ-wise, in my experience, and even then, it holds its own. The sub has a very flat frequency response with legit low end extension and transparency that most subs simply cannot offer, in and out of its price range. It shines in tiny boxes so you don't have to take up as much space as your typical sub, but it will in fact outdo most of them.

Here's one quick vid of mine from when I ran them in my tC (2 Dayton HO 10s in 0.7cubes each tuned to 29hz on about 400w per sub) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGMbUpZCbDo

the low note in that song is like 24hz or so, exactly when that alarm goes off.

They aren't crazy loud, so don't expect to compete in SPL competitions with them. But, they sound amazing and got plenty loud for me.

I didn't care for my 18" Fi Q, but thats besides the point.
I wouldn't pay over 300 for the pair of G5s, personally as thats what I've seen them go for a few times on eBay so I know what I can get them for.

I listen to mainly rap music myself and in all honesty, any sub that sounds nice on other genres of music will also do well on rap. Just be sure to have the right box tuning.

The Dayton sub is a diamond in the rough. I think the price of it misleads people a lot. You need to spend over double the price to beat it SQ-wise, in my experience, and even then, it holds its own. The sub has a very flat frequency response with legit low end extension and transparency that most subs simply cannot offer, in and out of its price range. It shines in tiny boxes so you don't have to take up as much space as your typical sub, but it will in fact outdo most of them.

Here's one quick vid of mine from when I ran them in my tC (2 Dayton HO 10s in 0.7cubes each tuned to 29hz on about 400w per sub) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGMbUpZCbDo

the low note in that song is like 24hz or so, exactly when that alarm goes off.

They aren't crazy loud, so don't expect to compete in SPL competitions with them. But, they sound amazing and got plenty loud for me.
I've heard nothing but good things about Dayton. It's definitely on the top of my list. Yeah I'm not looking to go deaf. I'm looking for good bass that sounds clean.PS that sounded good as ****.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.