Planning a Project - Need Input

Participant count
  • Participant list

chibahawk
10+ year member

oe squeezer
NYC
I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just a bargain DIY upgrade over an Sony HTIB that I've had for years. I just want nice SQ for gaming and music.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/BAMTM.html

I'm looking at this driver project for good value and good sound. But I'm a little confused about exactly where to go after this.

I'm definitely considering running the drivers full-range because I don't feel the need to get a loud subwoofer and piss the whole house off, and it seems as though these speakers will perform well full-range anyway.

Do I want to make 3 of these and have one for a center channel? Do I need a center channel or can I do a different project for the center?

I'll buy a bottom tier Onkyo or Pioneer receiver and at this time I won't be running surround.

One other option I'd like an opinion on is using a Pioneer Premier 3002SPL as a sub in the house and then going with a different project. Not sure how well that sub would perform with low power though.

Any advice and input is appreciated.

If you don't want to do surround you can just run Left, Right, and Center. In that case just make 3 of them so that they are all voiced the same.

Zaph makes some pretty neat projects. I want to build one of them over the summer for my gf....

Yea So I guess I'll try 3 of them. I'm going to run them off the receiver's power regardless because I'm not really looking to get loud. No one sees a problem with that do they or does DIY usually require plate amps etc.?

Also running them 3 up front I wouldn't really require a sub would I? I'm thinking I'll have decent bass but I'm no good at reading the SPL charts and all that frequency stuff they've got up. Zaph just mentions that they perform well down low without sacrificing much

You might want to add a subwoofer in the future. But, for now I think that those three would get you decent enough bass response. They should run fine off of the Receiver (what receiver are you running?). Plate amps are usually strictly for subs. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif

im not sure exactly which receiver i will buy.

i figure an entry level Onkyo maybe Pioneer with 7.1 support. I will buy new but I'm going to look for used options on ebay/craigslist and see if I can spot a good find.

One question, someone mentioned in another forum that you shouldn't lay the center channel horizontally if I'm making these drivers as I will lose bass response, I don't get that...

Also before I commit to the Zaph project - does anyone know of anything comparable but that I can order off of one website alone? I'll have to mix and match with this Aluminum one.

---also what website should someone clueless really be asking questions on?

thanks

goin to have to double check i guess. the link provided for the tweeter was a different site but I never bothered to actually look on PEX... have to finish finals and car deadening before pickin up this project

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.