Pioneers revs. or Sony xplods, help me decide

aweir
10+ year member

USA
I currently have a pair of 6.5" Sony xplode (40WRMS) with a 75W X 4 amp and they sound spectacular.

But

I don't think I am putting my amp to full use. The speakers are ok, in fact the bass is incredible for such a small speaker but I saw a lot of recommendations for the Pioneer TS-D161R speakers and they appear to be mugh more high-end than the Sony's with their Kevlar woofers and higher RMS of 60. I can get them for around $75.

So

being that I have a decent amp would I see better sound with the poineer or is there not much of a difference between these two speakers:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069898_191756456,00.html

http://www.xplodsony.com/xplod/speakers/XS-GT1625A

Would you recommend the Pioneer 6 X 9" also?

Never heard the xplodes, but I don't hear good things about any of the Sony stuff.

Can you demo the REV's locally? CC and BB used to have them, not sure any more.

I went with REV's and have been very happy with them. They get very loud and stay clean and have a good sound. I'm throwing around 75+ watts to mine.

I'm not a fanboy so I'm willing to give xplod a chance. If Sony is bad: These Sony's sound pretty good, that's why I'm wondering if they are as good as I think they are, or just that I haven't heard the better ones so I have nothing to compare them to.

no contest. Look into the Rev's, because they are some of the best sounding coax speakers around.

Atleast have a listen.

However, if you are happy with the sony's, why change a good thing. Dont let anyone change your mind about what sounds good to you.

no contest. Look into the Rev's, because they are some of the best sounding coax speakers around.
Atleast have a listen.

However, if you are happy with the sony's, why change a good thing. Dont let anyone change your mind about what sounds good to you.
x2, that's why I suggested trying to at least demo the REV's. I listened to everything on the CC & BB boards and was most impressed by the REV's and Kicker KS's. That's what MY ears liked, yours may not...

I guess you convinced me to get the Pioneers. But The only gripe so far is the lack of a functional speaker grill and why would you not want to protect a delicate component such as a speaker from dirt/debris/feet/sharp objects ect.? Hmmm :-\

I already have devised a plan. what if I cut a screen mesh to the same size and placed it behind the "grill"... if it can even be called that.

def. go for the revs over the explodes .

just buy some universal grills if the ones that it comes with arent good enough for your needs

they can be found pretty cheap .

http://item.express.ebay.com/Vehicle-Parts-Accessories_Car-Electronics_Car-Subwoofers-Enclosures_Pair-6-1-2-Heavy-Duty-Speaker-Woofer-Waffle-Grills_W0QQitemZ190036708517QQihZ009QQptdnZCarQ20SubwoofersQ20Q26Q20EnclosuresQQddnZVehicleQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadnZCarQ20ElectronicsQQptdiZ955QQddiZ1168QQadiZ967QQcmdZExpressItem

or ask if anyone has some they want to sell im sure some people have some laying around i think i might have a pair myself somewhere .

I guess you convinced me to get the Pioneers. But The only gripe so far is the lack of a functional speaker grill and why would you not want to protect a delicate component such as a speaker from dirt/debris/feet/sharp objects ect.? Hmmm :-\
I already have devised a plan. what if I cut a screen mesh to the same size and placed it behind the "grill"... if it can even be called that.
the grills pioneers have were just fine for me you wont need to worry but the mesh sounds kinda cool

Honestly, REV's are some of the best coaxial speakers you can buy for the money. Sony's.... the worst, on the mainstream market anyway.

The grills will protect them from feet, etc.. and NO grill will keep out dust or dirt, other than speaker cloth.

Report back when you get them installed. I'm sure you'll be happy as they're a pretty amazing coax, especially for the price.

believe it or not... i used to have xplodes then upgraded to revs. off stock HU power the xplodes were actually decent, bottomed out a little too easy, but far better then any OEM speakers i've ever heard. when i switched to revs, i wasn't too impressed at first. i could turn the HU up a little more without too much distortion, but i started to wonder why i spent $100 on new speakers if they werent that much better. it is when i bought an amp for them is when they really began to shine. they got 3x louder and quite a bit cleaner then the xplodes. IMO, well worth the money.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.