Piano black glossy sub box anyone made one??

protonman
10+ year member

I haven't seen anybody yet make any sub box for car that is same equivalent as a piano black finish glossy rich look. I know it takes a long time but believe it can be done. They do it with home speakers which are really nice shining black glossy look like a million bucks.

The closes I have ever seen was back in 1990 period, GLEN MONITORS subwoofer box was very good looking and I bought one from crutchfield but arrived damaged and that was the last of that.

sort of like cars, glossy finish wax cars look great, why hasn't anybody here done something like this for car sub boxes.

ANy pics or process of making one. just curious

I have made a piano black home subwoofer....it literally can take months though, so it's basically worthless for car audio unless you want it to look perfect (however, in those months perfecting the finish, you'll most likely decide on a different setup).

what about a glossy black painted fiberglass enclosure? i'm sure those are all over the place.

why would anyone take the time to put a perfect finish on a rectangular cube sitting in their trunk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

If you get the right sanding gear and bondo/wet-sand the box you can do it over a very, very dedicated weekend //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I spent alot of time sanding this and polishing.

About as shiny as it could get.

why would anyone take the time to put a perfect finish on a rectangular cube sitting in their trunk //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Why would someone put a whale wing on a honda ? Cause they can //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

My step dad owns a wood shop and i have use the high black gloss countertop finish. it is about 1/16" thick and comes with a protectice layer of tape on it, but it is reeaal shiinny.

only problem is we need these high black gloss blank stock pieces in 3/4" thick mdf or suitable wood material. Then we can just cut, glue, put together without even all the hassel of finishing, sanding and all the labor that goes into it. just get premade blank stock and go at it like normal and have one great looking sub box.

the problem is where you can find these pieces and I bet it will be expensive. I wonder how the home speaker manufacture get theirs done, thinking its probably high gloss blank stocka and they just cut, glue, put speakers in it.

My step dad owns a wood shop and i have use the high black gloss countertop finish. it is about 1/16" thick and comes with a protectice layer of tape on it, but it is reeaal shiinny.

Sounds like laminate that you use contact cement to adhere to the countertops. You could use that on an enclosure if you wish. Been done many times before my brother //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

only problem is we need these high black gloss blank stock pieces in 3/4" thick mdf or suitable wood material. Then we can just cut, glue, put together without even all the hassel of finishing, sanding and all the labor that goes into it. just get premade blank stock and go at it like normal and have one great looking sub box.
the problem is where you can find these pieces and I bet it will be expensive. I wonder how the home speaker manufacture get theirs done, thinking its probably high gloss blank stocka and they just cut, glue, put speakers in it.

See above post, what he is talking about is laminate. It will and has worked for a covering material quite well. Build your enclosure like normal out of mdf. Fill screw holes if ya got em'. Minimal sanding will be needed. to remove excess filler. Sand the edges flush to the adjacent surfaces. Then use the laminate, use contact cement to adhere it. Trim it with a flush trim bit. I have a little 1/4 or 1/2 horsepower trim router, that I leave a flush trim bit on for the sole purpose of trimming laminate. And I don't build countertops //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

automotive paint works but with black youll eventually get swirls so yeah it will need tlc to keep it pretty. Not too much sanding esp. if you have a jitterbug for wetsanding.

^nice job db

tools are everything, swap meets are the best places to get them

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.