Peculiar Installation Problem

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zripp
10+ year member

Hello,

I had a post a few weeks back related to this issue that I never solved, and the problem changed drastically from the original post, so I decided to start a new one.

I recently installed an 8inch sub in my car. I have a 4 channel Hifonics amp that is now powering my door speakers (6.5s) and the rear speakers are bridged for the sub.

Prior to getting the sub, the amp was powering the front and rear speakers (6x9s). So now that I the amp is powering the front speakers and the amp, I wanted to run the rear speakers off of headunit.

So I rewired it all and turned it, to find the rear speakers sounding very crackly at any volume more than quiet. My initial thought was that I somehow blew my rear speakers, so I faded the sound so that only rear speakers and sub were playing..and then the rear speakers sounded absolutely fine. No crackling at any volume. Fade them back so that the fronts are playing as well, and they are crackly again.

Any suggestions on this? I am thoroughly confused..

I am sure you already have tested this but I have to ask, you have faded it all to the front to make sure it is not the front speakers correct? If this is not the case I can only assume that the speakers are picking up some sort of noise. How is the amp getting signal? Is it through RCA? Was there ever a time when an LOC was introduced to the system? Please give me us a full detail on how everything is hooked up

i agree this is likely the case. shorting front speaker wires. they are rarely properly capped in the dash and can easily short out.
Ok, are you referring to the front speaker wires from the wiring harness? the ones that are not being used?

I am sure you already have tested this but I have to ask, you have faded it all to the front to make sure it is not the front speakers correct? If this is not the case I can only assume that the speakers are picking up some sort of noise. How is the amp getting signal? Is it through RCA? Was there ever a time when an LOC was introduced to the system? Please give me us a full detail on how everything is hooked up
The amp is getting its signal from two pairs of RCA's from the headunit, which is an aftermarked pioneer unit. No LOC has ever been used.

So I checked that out this morning and sure enough, two of the front speaker wires from the head unit were stuck together. Problem solved.

So thanks a lot guys, you are my heroes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.