PAC Interface causing speaker distortion...

Participant count
  • Participant list

East
10+ year member

Team New England
I just spent $100 on a PAC interface to install an aftermarket headunit in my 06 durango and got it all installed, everything was pretty easy and straight-forward. However I get distortion and muddyness on basically all volumes, some songs play decently while most sound distorted. The higher I bring the volume up the worse it gets.

I have a Pioneer DEH4200 that I've been using in multiple installs and it has sounded great on all stock systems... I can usually got o 48-50 volume out of 62 before it starts to distort on all of my previous systems. I've never installed a system in a vehicle with a stock amplifier so this is all new to me. I heard PAC was one of the best and spending $100+ on the kit, I figured I'd get quality but that's not the case. I searched google for my issue and seem to find no complaints, every review has my PAC kit listed as 4 out of 5 stars.

What gives? the factory headunit has no issues with sound quality, sounds loud and great. At this rate I'm debating on just buying a decent $150 4 channel and running wires but honestly don't feel like it, and don't want to spend the money but $100 for one of these things to install the headunit seems like a lot of the SQ im receiving.

Any suggestions or reasons why this is happening? some have suggested that getting an RCA interface or one that has level adjustment is what I need, but if that's the case why the hell is this so expensive and such a well reviewed product? I don't see how anyone could think this sounds and/or works good if that's the case, I can't be the ONLY one with this issue and if I am then it must not be the interface but something else... But honestly I can't think of one thing, I set my headunit on flat and turned HPF to 100HZ while that helps a lot obviously it's still muddy and distorted on most songs.

So what are peoples suggestions any thoughts or ideas? I would just return it and try something else but at this rate I have almost no wire left on my headunits harness to keep uninstalling and reinstalling and ontop of that I bought this last year and just got around to trying it out, so I can't even get my money back so now I have a $100 paperweight. Ugh, so yeah let me know guys.

Did you try contacting the manufacturer to see if they can help you troubleshoot the problem. I used the PAC interface with my Ford several years ago, and it worked fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.