Out of the ordinary input needed please

Participant count
  • Participant list

KHustoms

Hello all and good day! Thanks for clicking,

Short version: What is the best Media head unit available, with the fewest USB and Bluetooth issues, with NO CD option, no DVD, and only Single Din. If possible front AND rear USB.

Long Version:

I am making a center console for my Jeep. My Jeep still has it's factory Bose system w/ nav and b/u camera. However the doubledin 6disc head unit is malfunctioning.

I want to mount a head unit in the center console I am crafting(from wood),

and I do not want the head unit to have a screen or DVD because of

A) space

B) lack of need for video media in the deck/dash; use a tablet instead and any movie that I may ever watch in my vehicle(first the first time ever) would come from a USB flash card and not a DVD.

The following are required:

USB - the ability to simply copy songs on to a usb flash drive, and the headunit can read the files

Bluetooth - Not just 1/2 the deck either. I want every function of playing music to work with bluetooth. Apple Carplay, from what I have seen, requires you to physically plugin the iPhone and the bluetooth doesn't work for it. I use Amazon Prime for music and it has it's own app.

Cellphones and tablets - the head unit has the ability to understand it is connected to a very large variety of handheld devices. I own an iPhone5, and a Samsung Tab Pro 12.2(kitkat?). I need a headunit that can read much more than just these...but I just need the music readable if I choose.

Remote Controller - The head unit will be mounted in the console, and not seen when not in use, and sometimes while under use. This combined with leaving the factory dash is a theft deterrent. A remote is required.

Single Din - I am willing to accept the possibility that a single din does not exist anymore that provides all this, but if I wasn't willing to contest that idea, then I would not be writing this.

Headphone jack

Steering wheel controls ability - I understand that this is most often an additional adapter, and that's ok, but I need the function available.

NO CD OPTION - no need to waste the space in the head unit if I just stream or use USB.

This is important: The last head unit I purchased was the Kenwood KDC X890. It has a USB input on it, but the deck requires you use this PhatMedia software to read USB devices. I Do Not want a head unit that limits it's USB like this. If I copy a media file to a flash drive and plug it in, I want it to be able to read the music files without some middle man software controlling my device.

As far as the rear outputs...

I want the ability to plugin two amps if desired. Am isolated sub connection if possible. Wired connections and RCA... if that's what is still used. Thats what the last Kenwood had. Have always owned Kenwood tbh, but am willing to change if you show me something better.

Thanks if you got this far, and if anything I wrote was unclear, or I left anything out please let me know.

Thanks so much for making this site, and for any constructive responses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked up your suggestion. It looks very close to what I want, however it has no remote.

I want to stay away from any CD device also sorry.

Also read reports of some android updates causing loss of functions like 'skip song'.

Thanks very much for the reply!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been reading, and researching, and it seems that the reviews of the media(no CD) head units are generally lower than comparably priced/built units that still have the CD option.

Like I am better off buying a deck with CD and never using it, than buying a deck without CD.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.