Orion D5000, MMATS 3500.1?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wolverine19D
10+ year member

OK, so I am still looking for an amp for my 2 FI Q 12" with the cooling option. I was offered a MMATS 3500.1 and I believe it is rated at 2700 RMS + at 1 ohm. And I heard they were efficient on your electrical?

Also, I was looking at this D5000 I found on Ebay, I always heard Orion was good quality. Here is the link to that auction:

Used Orion D5000 HCCA Class D amplifier Nr!! - eBay (item 110575056372 end time Aug-24-10 17:25:52 PDT)

Do you guys have any thoughts or opinions on either of these amps?

Thanks!

Mmats makes a very solid product. Dunno about that Orion (it's rated double what it actually puts out which is a bad sign usually). The Orion 2500D is a very solid amp and those come up on eBay for about the same price (also the guy's feedback there looks pretty sketchy)

Thanks guys, I just haven't heard much about the MMATS but everything I do hear is good. It says 3500.1 but I believe it is only 2700RMS @ 1 ohm? I figure around 2500-3000RMS would be OK for my subs. The only thing negative about the MMATS I can see is that it has dual 2 or 4 gauge inputs...and that it doesn't have a gain knob I can mount up front to turn it down.

Also one other thing I was worried about, I know this may be a dumb question but the MMATS only has one input and output for the subs. If I am running dual 1 ohm subs can I just put both of the positives together and both negatives together and it not mess with the ohm of the speaker?

Thanks!

a while back I considering buying a MMATS amp, I couldn't find any one who had actually bench tested one, also if you look on there site they say to use a 100a fuse for a amp they say can put out 2000w???

but ya, ive heard nothing but good things.

Yea, I heard something else about the fuses too and that just doesn't make sense. But it seems like I found some benchtests somewhere when I was researching and everyone says they do 2700+ ? for the 3500.1 but I don't know how unless their fuses add up to that much. Anyone else have any idea?

I mean, I haven't read one bad thing about this amp yet. So I am pretty confident it produces the power, but the fueses really confuse me.

I will look for one later, I may not have even found one. I am definately not set on either - they are just within my price range for what I want. If I could find a Sundown 3000D for around $450 I would take it over the MMATS but I don't see any.

mmats by a long shot..

they are some of the best sounding class D amps i've heard and they do rated power.. they are efficient but they need adequate power supply they don't rely on huge storage they rely on ample supply from a alt with enough capacitance to regulate ripple in voltage/current demands..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.