Only using one voice coil in a DVC Sub

Workin for DBs
10+ year member

I've been browsing the web looking for this answer but I seem to be getting mixed results...so I'm askng here. My friend has 2 dvc subs but he is only using one set of voice coils on each sub and I said that wasn't good. I've read many places that hooking up one voice coil cuts half the rms. Other places say between 10 and 25%. So my question is...is it ok to hook up only one set of voice coils or does it damage the sub and cut the rms in half?

if you are ok with it then it is ok. but the sub is not ok . using one coil changes all the ts paramiters. What happens when you fry the one coil? then it might unravel and then you cany use the other one anyways. Dual coil subs are designed to give you more wiring options and in some cases, more power handling. WHat subs and what amp are we talking about here?

I'm a little confused by your post. But he has two jl 12w3v3s dvc 4 ohms and a kicker zx1000.1. He's only hooked up one voice coil on each in order to get a 2 ohm load on the amp. It just doesn't seem right to me

he is doing that because he cant wire it down to 1ohm. that amp wont take it. so, instead he wants to wire it to 2 ohms and put 1k on 500rms coils. his call.

What Subzero said ^^^

Your friend needs an amp that give full power at 1 ohm or 4 ohms with those subs. I would recommend him wiring both subs to 4 ohms for now. He will probably see about 600 watts, which will be plenty.

Yes i understand that but I thought that he lost half or so of his rms from each sub by doing so. And do you thnk he would be better off wiring both to a 4 ohm load?

Yes i understand that but I thought that he lost half or so of his rms from each sub by doing so. And do you thnk he would be better off wiring both to a 4 ohm load?
yes he lost half. each sub is 250 rms PER COIL. if he is only usinf 2 coils, then thats 500 rms @ 2 ohms.

his subs are dual coil, each coil is 250rms for a combined 500rms per sub @ either 8 or 2 ohm. here use this link. Subwoofer Wiring Diagrams, One 4 ohm Dual Voice Coil (DVC) Speaker

Ok so besides the fact that he is overpowering his subs, only using one voice coil isnt actually bad for the woofer? I read somewhere that by only using one (can't remember right now exactly what it said) but basically it can't function right

it would fry them but it depends alot i had my sub wired like that for like 5months i checked the coils and there not stable do to the fact i was just using one coil to to ge a two ohm load to my 1500 amp. i then wired them two 4ohms after that but they still bump ha been having those subs for like 3+ years now

if you are ok with it then it is ok. but the sub is not ok . using one coil changes all the ts paramiters. What happens when you fry the one coil? then it might unravel and then you cany use the other one anyways. Dual coil subs are designed to give you more wiring options and in some cases, more power handling. WHat subs and what amp are we talking about here?
Ok so besides the fact that he is overpowering his subs, only using one voice coil isnt actually bad for the woofer? I read somewhere that by only using one (can't remember right now exactly what it said) but basically it can't function right
theres your answer

wiring only one voice coil to a dvc is not bad for the sub, but it does indeed reduce power handling by half. also, the Q will rise, causing a peakier response at resonance. best option at this point is to wire for 4 ohm.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.